Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Deep Water Fishing

Default Deep Water Fishing

I signed up for the California Department of Fish and Wildlife "Angler Update" and the most recent issue has this blurb about Lingcod...

Creature Feature: Lingcod
    Lingcod may be found statewide off the California coast. This fish lives at or near the bottom, in a wide range of habitats including rocky areas and kelp beds, especially where there is strong tidal movement. They occur most abundantly in water shallower than 350 feet, but will often go into deeper water and have been caught as deep as 2,700 feet off Southern California.

That last bit... have been caught as deep as 2,700 feet

That's more than half a mile down! How does anyone fish at that sort of depth?

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    I signed up for the California Department of Fish and Wildlife "Angler Update" and the most recent issue has this blurb about Lingcod...

Creature Feature: Lingcod
    Lingcod may be found statewide off the California coast. This fish lives at or near the bottom, in a wide range of habitats including rocky areas and kelp beds, especially where there is strong tidal movement. They occur most abundantly in water shallower than 350 feet, but will often go into deeper water and have been caught as deep as 2,700 feet off Southern California.

dont think we've legally been able to for a number of years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post

We used to before someone said we can't.

There use to be a loop hole that said you could. (let me explain) The reason there is a depth limit is to protect Cow Cod and a few other species. But these species only live in water 350-1200 feet deep. After that those species don't live there so you could fish "REALLY DEEP" if you wanted too!!! (not that anybody thought that was the way to go) This was many years ago I read that, so the law could have easily changed. (but this was a loop hole after they put in the depth restrictions)
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-19-2016 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    There use to be a loop hole that said you could. (let me explain) The reason there is a depth limit is to protect Cow Cod and a few other species. But these species only live in water 350-1200 feet deep. After that those species don't live there so you could fish "REALLY DEEP" if you wanted too!!! (not that anybody thought that was the way to go) This was many years ago I read that, so the law could have easily changed. (but this was a loop hole after they put in the depth restrictions)
    We got 10 fathoms back at least so that's an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    ...and I caught a Cow Cod.
    Robert
    <><

It is a great improvement from the bottom ceiling we once had. When the DFG first realized they totally screwed up by allowing those giant net boats to drag the bottom and DESTROY a fishery that was once immense!!!! They first came up with a 120 foot limit. (20 fathoms) Their logic in panic mode was we could release protected fish and they might survive being caught and released at that depth. So the 50-60 fathom limit we now have is ok but just think of all those fish in those deeper spots that haven't been fished in over 20 years!!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-20-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    ...and I caught a Cow Cod.
    Robert
    <><
    lol I did too. It looked tasty, but I had to watch it float away to get picked at by seagulls.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    It's a great improvement from the bottom ceiling we once had. When the DFG first realized they totally screwed up by allowing those giant net boats to drag the bottom and DESTROY a fishery that was once immense!!!! They first came up with a 120 foot limit. (their logic in panic mode was we could release protected fish and they might survive being caught and released at that depth. So the 50-60 fathom limit we now have is ok but just think of all those fish in those deeper spots that haven't been fished in over 20 years!!!!!!!
    My arms are cringing at the thought of fishing anything over 400'. It would be amazing to catch a 10lb red or 20lb cowcod though. A short season might be the most logical approach for maintaining fish stocks if we ever get the chance to fish those depths again.

My arms are cringing at the thought of fishing anything over 400'. It would be amazing to catch a 10lb red or 20lb cowcod though. A short season might be the most logical approach for maintaining fish stocks if we ever get the chance to fish those depths again.
    I agree a short season in the deep water would be really nice. However, I read a decade ago it would take 100 years to get the deep water fish back to the levels they want them to be. Why nobody saw this coming 40 years ago is beyond me. (everybody knew Rockcod were a SLOW growing fish.)