Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: deep sea fishing equipment help

Default deep sea fishing equipment help

I'm trying to get back into fishing and recently bought some new equipment but want to make sure it is adequate. I plan on going deep sea fishing occasionally..mainly the boats that go out of Long Beach Marina Sportfishing, MDR, and Davey's Locker. These are the 1/2 day and 3/4 day boats. Recently, at LB, the 3/4 day has been getting yellowtail and the 1/2 day is lot of sculpin.

Few questions:

1. Will a medium-heavy spinning rod suffice for this kind of fishing?
    2. What pound test line will suffice?
    3. How many yards should the spool be able to hold?

Thanks in advance!!

Well this is what has been working for me. I also fish with spinning reels instead of conventional.

medium heavy spinning rod rated 15-30 lbs 8' length
    Penn Fierce 5000 ( spooled with 45 pound braided) I used to fish with mono 25 lbs test on this reel . I had to switch to braided after hooking up with a larger fish that spooled me out due to the the fact that my reel only held about 130 yards of 25 lb mono line . Now i have about 210 yards of braided With a 25 lbs mono leader . When you are fishing for yellows sometimes you need to let your live bait free swim for some time this will take allot of your line especially considering that spinning reel do not hold as much as conventional reels. So a line with smaller diameter is key. I also like the action on a more lengthier rod it also comes in handy when you have to cast out over all the other anglers stuffed on the boat. I also find that having a taller rod makes it easier to run up and down the rails with less tangles with other anglers. This is my personal opinion. I hope this helps you out . Good Luck! And most of all just enjoy the day on the water. Like they say the worst day fishing beats the best day at work.=)
    Last edited by reelman; 08-30-2016 at 10:02 AM.