Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: deep sea fishing equipment help

Default deep sea fishing equipment help

I'm trying to get back into fishing and recently bought some new equipment but want to make sure it is adequate. I plan on going deep sea fishing occasionally..mainly the boats that go out of Long Beach Marina Sportfishing, MDR, and Davey's Locker. These are the 1/2 day and 3/4 day boats. Recently, at LB, the 3/4 day has been getting yellowtail and the 1/2 day is lot of sculpin.

Few questions:

1. Will a medium-heavy spinning rod suffice for this kind of fishing?
    2. What pound test line will suffice?
    3. How many yards should the spool be able to hold?

Thanks in advance!!

Ideally, you'd really want 2 setups. If you want to go spinning, one rod around 6'6" - 7' with line rating 8-20 lbs or so with a reel spooled with 150-200 yards of 12-15# test would be good for bass and rat yellows using live bait and swimbaits. Another rod around 7' with line rating of 15-40 lbs or so and a much larger reel spooled with 200 yards or so of 25# test will be able to catch barracuda, medium yellows, bonito, etc. using larger live bait, iron jigs, etc.

-Kev

Quote Originally Posted by dodgers91485 View Post
    I'm trying to get back into fishing and recently bought some new equipment but want to make sure it is adequate. I plan on going deep sea fishing occasionally..mainly the boats that go out of Long Beach Marina Sportfishing, MDR, and Davey's Locker. These are the 1/2 day and 3/4 day boats. Recently, at LB, the 3/4 day has been getting yellowtail and the 1/2 day is lot of sculpin.

Few questions:

1. Will a medium-heavy spinning rod suffice for this kind of fishing?
    2. What pound test line will suffice?
    3. How many yards should the spool be able to hold?

Thanks in advance!!
    You should grab that Penn outfit for sale.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...penn-sabre-rod