Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Best Lure for beginner!

Default Best Lure for beginner!

Im going to get my wife/kids to go bass fishing with me one of these day. What do you think is the best easiest lure for them?

They have been fishing before but mostly catfish or ocean (bait and wait) but never for bass. I will have them use mostly my spinning set up. Im thinking about chatter bait/spinner nait ane maybe drop shot. What do you guy think, any recommendation?

That's easy! A weedless rigged 5 or 6 inch green pumpkin Senko. A do nothing bait. Cast it out and let it sink down, watching the line for any twitches or jerks. When it gets to the bottom, just move it once in a while. I've caught my two largest bass by just casting it out and letting it sit. I guess bass will watch it flutter down, them swim over to it and pick it up off the bottom to eat it. There's no casting and reeling it back in like most lures. Plus it only has one hook in it, not two dangerous sets of sharp trebles!

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    That's easy! A weedless rigged 5 or 6 inch green pumpkin Senko. A do nothing bait. Cast it out and let it sink down, watching the line for any twitches or jerks. When it gets to the bottom, just move it once in a while. I've caught my two largest bass by just casting it out and letting it sit. I guess bass will watch it flutter down, them swim over to it and pick it up off the bottom to eat it. There's no casting and reeling it back in like most lures. Plus it only has one hook in it, not two dangerous sets of sharp trebles!
    Agreed....a weightless weedless rigged Senko is one of the easiest and effective setups for bass.

Thanks guy, i forget about those Senko, and I do have plenty of them in both 4" and 5". I have witness so many time that all you do with senko is just cast and let it sit, a lot of time bass would hit unmoving senko like those bait and wait. I might try that first and see how they like it.

Senko, as others have mentioned.

I'd go down to the 4" just to get more bites, rather than than the 5". You can cast the 4" for miles.

Either that, or if conditions entail you using a weedless Texas rigged worm, you can also try that.

If you're fishing deep water structure and have no issues with getting snagged, I've heard that the dropshot will pull fish from an empty bath tub. You may also wanna try that.

(The only problem i foresee is individuals who have very little patience, who would work a Senko like a crankbait, which won't get you many bites. For those individuals who can't reel in slowly, you may try a reaction bait, and hope that the fish are keying in on a faster moving bait)