Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fishing from a boat (not trolling) tips?

Default Fishing from a boat (not trolling) tips?

Hi all,
    I've fished big bear many times over the years but always from shore. I'm going up this weekend for my brother in law's bachelor party. Some golfing in the morning and we're renting a pontoon for the afternoon.
    Obviously trout would be our main target. But bass, and catfish are also on the adgenda. I know fishing is a little slow right now with the water warm and fish lethargic. Which lures/colors are working best right now? Also baits? I have all the standards for big bear. Just hoping to get a couple of the guys onto some fish. None of us have leadcore or anything... I'd buy some, but I don't really have a good rod/reel for that setup.
    Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    Hi all,
    I've fished big bear many times over the years but always from shore. I'm going up this weekend for my brother in law's bachelor party. Some golfing in the morning and we're renting a pontoon for the afternoon.
    Obviously trout would be our main target. But bass, and catfish are also on the adgenda. I know fishing is a little slow right now with the water warm and fish lethargic. Which lures/colors are working best right now? Also baits? I have all the standards for big bear. Just hoping to get a couple of the guys onto some fish. None of us have leadcore or anything... I'd buy some, but I don't really have a good rod/reel for that setup.
    Thank you all!
    Your best bet is going to probably be to drift with a slip boober rig. The water is cooling of it is now 5 degrees over the last week. the DO is really bad near the dam right now so probably from boulder bay to the west launch ramp bouy might get you into fish. Call up to BB sporting good and ask them if they are hitting worms, powerbait or both. They can also help you with the slip rig if you are not familiar. Because of the oxygen levels i would not be surprised to see fish showing up at the observatory.

Hi all,
    Thank you all!
    Check out this website
    http://www.bbmwd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    Check out this website
    http://www.bbmwd.com/
    Thanks, but the last report up on this site if from may.

Quote Originally Posted by pwynn View Post
    Your best bet is going to probably be to drift with a slip boober rig. The water is cooling of it is now 5 degrees over the last week. the DO is really bad near the dam right now so probably from boulder bay to the west launch ramp bouy might get you into fish. Call up to BB sporting good and ask them if they are hitting worms, powerbait or both. They can also help you with the slip rig if you are not familiar. Because of the oxygen levels i would not be surprised to see fish showing up at the observatory.
    Cool thank you!

Thanks, but the last report up on this site if from may.
    Yeah but it give you the water temp. When you are up there listen to 93.3FM they have a fishing report on there at 9:45am and I think 4:45pm. I might be off with the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    Yeah but it give you the water temp. When you are up there listen to 93.3FM they have a fishing report on there at 9:45am and I think 4:45pm. I might be off with the time.
    Cool thanks!

The bachelor party crew rented a pontoon out of Holloway's. Out on the water around 3. Fished out way behind the floating outhouse for about an hour for nothing. Moved up to a spot across from that big point before the dam area. My buddy got one that we got to the boat but broke off in anchor rope. Looked to be around a 2 lber. Fished there until we were almost out of time on the rental. We unhooked the anchor and drifted back down the lake towards the outhouse. Right when we were about to pull lines in same buddy hooks up. Gets it close and it gets crossed 2 other lines that are out. he had about 5-10 feet of line out when the rats nets was at his rod eye. I reach down and hand line that thing in on 4lb test ever so gently. And ended up pulling in a 2lber. Took it back to the cabin and shared with the group as a late night snack. It was DELICIOUS!! Oh and I caught one little sculpin...
    The 2 trout caught were hooked on power mouse carolina rigged with a LONG leader around 3 feet long. We tossed different lures and all kinds of bait combos. Were out there for about 3.5 hours 3-6:30

Glad you were able to get that one in by hand and they are delicious. Great report and congrats to the bachelor/groom.