Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Catalina Yellows 8-20-16

Default Catalina Yellows 8-20-16

I been on a long break from fresh water bass fishing and learning how to target a new species (yellows). These past few months I been enjoying my new to me 18'CC I put together back
    in March. Been fishing for calicos in some local areas out of LB practicing for next seasons SWBA series. Also recently started making a few trips out to Cat to target YT's.
    I use to be nothing but a bass guy till now It's definitely a ton of fun catching these fish and a new addiction. Nothing like getting your Lexa 400 80% spooled by a big Yellow.
    This past sat was my 3rd trip out there and it only keeps getting better and better each time out.

7/23/16 Cat Backside Eastside, First time taking my CC. No pics!
    2 YT (small ones) and a boat load of calicos

8/7/16 Cat West frontside
    7 yellows(kept 2) couple bonito and a few really nice calico
    Biggest went 20 this day

Nice Calico on the Rip Bait, 5lber

A few my friend caught on his GP

8/20/16 Cat West Backside
    9 Yellows (lost 3 One over 25lbs easy right at the boat), Over 20 Bonitos, One 70lb+ Ray, calicos, sheepshead & cuddas

Caught 2 this size out of 20 on Rip Baits

Most of my fishing has been in 50ft to 140ft. Fishing Drops offs, Reefs, Deep points, rock piles and heavy structure. I been using the same techniques as I do for LMB when
    fishing of the banks. I put my SI to work and scan for good deep structure, marks waypoints and get to work. It's been fun so far and ready to get out there again this week.

Happy fishing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	48956  

That's awesome!

nice going guys that guy right there Daniel Lucero a good fisherman and great chef .....

Love the go pro vid, nice grade of yellowtail, great post

Nice report. Looks like using a surface lure has been working for you for bonito and bass. Overall reports I have been reading are that the YT are everywhere but are on the smaller size. Thanks for the report.

Nicely Done! Thanks for sharing.