Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Default First time harbor fishing this weekend--report

Default Default First time harbor fishing this weekend--report

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who gave me advice for Newport harbor. My son and I had a blast our first time out in NPH(Weird for me to use that abbreviation in a different context as I work a lot with diabetics and this is also a name of a type of insulin).
    We got to the coast guard station a little before 8 and launched from there. I was actually surprised there were not more people and that there was very little traffic in the harbor until about 1030am then the yachts came out. We mainly stuck to the docks north of the station. I tried the rocky area off the southeast corner of little island for nadda but we were also trying to jockey for position with a sea lion in that area.

A few pics from our day, only one "legal" spottie but all were fun and all looked healthy on release. They are really a powerful little fish!

One thing I learned is that there is quite a bit of a learning curve positioning your kayak with the incoming tide to make a good presentation and keeping yourself in that position as you retrieve. Something I just needed to anticipate better.

The other thing I learned is that the eel grass really gets in your way in the back of some of the dock areas. Drove me nuts. I changed my son over to a spinnerbait to stay out of it and next time I think I may Texas rig my swimbaits.

Thanks again to everyone. Can't wait to give it another shot some time soon and get a flattie!

Hi ya StumpFisher,

You hit a home run pops .... you can see it in your son's face.

Congrat's on your SBB catches and a job well done .... you learned quickly! WTG!! They do fight hard!!

Thank you for sharing your session with us.

SP Dan <"))><

Good times!

Nice to see someone with a Sea Eagle boat. Saving up for the Sea Eagle 285fpb myself.

Thanks for the report!

Way to get it done. See u out there!

Congrats on the great job! Yes, T-rigging is necessary in the eel grassy areas. Spotties are a blast. Glad you kid had a great time. Also glad you're teaching him to C&R.

Yeah. When the current is swift, it's hard to hold position at your target area. You have to kind of drift boat it. Sometimes you can be sneaky and tie up to a dock but the NHP boat owners can be a little unfriendly if they catch you doing that. It's much easier to hold position at a dock piling in a float tube but those things are hell when the wind picks up and you have to fight the current to get back to your launch site.
    Last edited by GhettoBasster; 08-26-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Nice job! Father/Son fishing days are one for the memory bank. If you don't like to position yourself constantly, try drifting along the moorings and fan casting. Spotties hang around those things too.

cool report. I have a sea eagle like yours and a hobie outback. When the water is really moving I just fish the middle channel and just drift. It's less tiring and you can focus on fishing more. Gl.