Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed

Default Disappointed

I have very rarely done this but I can't help posting about my disappointment in a deep sea trip on the Sport King out of LA Harbor this past Friday. It is my second and LAST time on this boat. The boat is extremely slow, the deckhands spend a lot of time goofing off and the skipper tends to yell at the passengers when he doesn't think they are fishing they way he wants. What broke the camels back this time was the fraudulent fish count he posted after our trip. We caught 3 yellows and he said we got 11. He posted I think it was 57 bonito but it was probably half that. He might have been close on the calico count but I am not sure. Sadly I think the boat itself is pretty good although it is very slow. It has great rail space and the galley is nice. Overall the boat itself is good it is the staff that ruins it. I am sure that some of you have had pleasant experiences on this boat and I appreciate that but no three count for me this time. Two strikes and your out.

Quote Originally Posted by pastorsheldon View Post
    I have very rarely done this but I can't help posting about my disappointment in a deep sea trip on the Sport King out of LA Harbor this past Friday. It is my second and LAST time on this boat. The boat is extremely slow, the deckhands spend a lot of time goofing off and the skipper tends to yell at the passengers when he doesn't think they are fishing they way he wants. What broke the camels back this time was the fraudulent fish count he posted after our trip. We caught 3 yellows and he said we got 11. He posted I think it was 57 bonito but it was probably half that. He might have been close on the calico count but I am not sure. Sadly I think the boat itself is pretty good although it is very slow. It has great rail space and the galley is nice. Overall the boat itself is good it is the staff that ruins it. I am sure that some of you have had pleasant experiences on this boat and I appreciate that but no three count for me this time. Two strikes and your out.
    La Harbor lost me years ago, you should try Marina Del Rey sport fishing, I have never had a bad outing with them, oh yes one, but it was a customers fault not the crew. Some ******* decided he wanted to mess with people that did re-rides, so he harassed me until I threatened to stab him and throw him overboard, after which he tried to cry to the captain, Rick laughed in his face and told him to mind his business. They have 3 boats and they really try to put you on the fish. AM goes north, PM goes south. Give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by pastorsheldon View Post
    Did they bring out the pellet gun and start shooting at the seals?

There is some good boats in San Pedro. Native Sun is a great one. MDR is good when fish are around, too far for Catalina.
    Check out the Triton at Ports O Call. RSW (Refridgerated Salt Water) storage. They only run a couple days a week with the limited load of 25 max.
    GailForceSportfishing.com then click on book online then Triton. Then you can see the schedule for the week. $100 5am to 5pm at Catalina.
    Gail Force and Triton aren't listed in any fish counts.

I fished the Native Sun last thursday. It is a big boat 75' x 25' with a round stern which is nice. we had 38 people for about 20 yellowtail.
    Nice size fish average 20lbs. The JP was about 30lb. No YT for me, just Bonito. Captain fishes hard. $80 7am to 4 - 5 pm at Catalina.

FYI The fish counts can be deceiving. Today the Redondo Special had good Yellowtail (YT) counts at PV.
    Same with the MDR 1/2 day New Del Mar EXCEPT people do not know the size of the fish.

The Rat YTs 2 - 5 lb have moved from Catalina to PV and SMB Santa Monica Bay.
    Personally fishing Rat YTs is not very good. You are allowed to keep 5 under 24" but many fishermen
    do not like to target these juvenile YT.

to begin... each boat/captain /deck and even fisherman can be a**holes to each other..; its the wild west out there and everyone for himself esp during tuna/yt season.... u wake up early and get to landing to get a good spot then some clown trys to push u away from ur spot ?? or guys casting over ur head thinking theres a 1/2 space or 2nd row from behind u...???? I dnt think so.....

guys not calling there cast or cud care less they hurl an iron in front of ur face while u grabbing bait!! ..... ; heck few years ago GUS deck from pursuit and a giant treble in his skull and lets just say captn was beyond pissed

then again its everyones fishing experience that counts as well.... if ur a newbie or first timer with rod rental etc.... yt season is not for u and might try 1/2 day boat instead so u can catch ur rockfish with torpedo set ups....; IF u don't fish regularly and think that u gonna get a yt the one or two trips u take all summer just because u have a $400 setup don't count on it.... ; like anything u gotta put ur work and time in to dial them in .

I hv been on SPORTKING more than a few times and even part of group that chartered it.. CAPTAIN can be boisterous/over caffinated at times but not a problem to myself or anyone I fished with... he does throw a lot of trivia and ask where u live to pass the time and tell stories....; some guys just blow him off if he tells them how to fish or give his advice....

the crew no probs.

I been on worse boats to compare with ... AGAIN to each his own.. just gotta find the one u like and has the right price for ur needs.
    fyi I don't work for any boat/captain /landing...

Quote Originally Posted by BALLERONBUDGET View Post
    to begin... each boat/captain /deck and even fisherman can be a**holes to each other..; its the wild west out there and everyone for himself esp during tuna/yt season.... u wake up early and get to landing to get a good spot then some clown trys to push u away from ur spot ?? or guys casting over ur head thinking theres a 1/2 space or 2nd row from behind u...???? I dnt think so.....

guys not calling there cast or cud care less they hurl an iron in front of ur face while u grabbing bait!! ..... ; heck few years ago GUS deck from pursuit and a giant treble in his skull and lets just say captn was beyond pissed

then again its everyones fishing experience that counts as well.... if ur a newbie or first timer with rod rental etc.... yt season is not for u and might try 1/2 day boat instead so u can catch ur rockfish with torpedo set ups....; IF u don't fish regularly and think that u gonna get a yt the one or two trips u take all summer just because u have a $400 setup don't count on it.... ; like anything u gotta put ur work and time in to dial them in .

I hv been on SPORTKING more than a few times and even part of group that chartered it.. CAPTAIN can be boisterous/over caffinated at times but not a problem to myself or anyone I fished with... he does throw a lot of trivia and ask where u live to pass the time and tell stories....; some guys just blow him off if he tells them how to fish or give his advice....

the crew no probs.

I been on worse boats to compare with ... AGAIN to each his own.. just gotta find the one u like and has the right price for ur needs.
    fyi I don't work for any boat/captain /landing...
    Boy I like what you said!!!!! It's sort of the nature of the beast. That's how they got the name cattle Boats. When I go I don't expect much from the crew and the other passengers. I am pleasantly surprised on a few boats. MDR sportfishing always put's a smile on my face. Now a day's the Spitfire is one of my favorite boat's especially when the 2nd ticket John (Couch) is running the boat.

Sounds like typical cattle boat experience. I understand for these commercial fishermen it is their livelihood and a way of life, but I feel with the unusual warm weather the local water has many of these commercial crews will want to exploit leisure fishermen that are attracted by stories and pictures of the yellowtail and tuna that have arrived. Sure they will inflate numbers and not give a damn on customer service, but I am there for myself and the experience. I have good days, mediocre days, and terrible days, but the way I see it any day on the water is better then a day at work.

Without naming the boat, the worst experience I had was being elbow to elbow and one of 70 people assigned a small spot on the rail. Absolutely awful. Once again it was a much advertised trip headed to catch yellowtail. No fish myself, but I got be with good friends and see a bald eagle scoop up a discarded fish.

Assigned spot ? What is that ? The other day we were moving all over. Drift, anchor "Coming over" "Going under"

When fishing fly line live sardines you just worry about keeping your line straight out in front of you.

"No Angles, No Tangles" The worst is when someone thinks they have a assigned spot and doesn't move when there line is at a angle.
    Bottom fishing is a whole different story.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Assigned spot ? What is that ? The other day we were moving all over. Drift, anchor "Coming over" "Going under"

When fishing fly line live sardines you just worry about keeping your line straight out in front of you.

"No Angles, No Tangles" The worst is when someone thinks they have a assigned spot and doesn't move when there line is at a angle.
    Bottom fishing is a whole different story.
    Some of the boats at 22nd st landing have assigned spots, I think it was the Monte Carlo I went on that pulled that crap.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast