Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed

they shoot at them with pellets. they're bad shots so they miss alot, but they're aiming at them. i've never shot a gun from a rocking boat, i'd probably miss too.

I can't imagine it really being legal to shoot a pellet gun at seals. How powerful can the pellet gun be? Some are close to .22 velocity I believe. What regulations cover these weapons?

These air rifles shoot at 1400 fps, that's pretty fast:
    http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/ov...ps-rifles.html
    Think they couldn't do some damage? Think again.

Etucker, has this issue been decided in court? Sometimes it takes a court case to clarify misread or misinterpreted regulations.

John

Last I heard it is legal to shoot then with a paintball gun or slingshot.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    No we looked it up!!! Bruce on the Sportking shoots them every trip, he would have been busted already if it was illegal. (I know being a jailhouse lawyer myself that's not good enough evidence) But as I said earlier we looked it up!!!!!!!
    With all due respect, you cannot shoot sea lions with a pellet gun, it's illegal, if some captain is shooting them he is lucky he has not been caught yet. He may be using a paint ball gun, which is legal or even a sling shot, but high powered pellet rifles are a no no.

Potential methods for use by fishers to deter Pacific harbor seals and California sea lions from damaging gear or catch (anglers must be actively fishing with gear deployed) Visual Repellents/Noise Makers:
    •boat hazing, circling
    •pounding on hull
    •pyrotechnics (e.g., bird screamers, bangers, underwater firecrackers, cracker shells)
    •starter pistols*
    •horns, bells, whistles Physical Contact:
    •sling shots
    •non-toxic and water soluble paint ball guns*
    •non-lethal ammunition (e.g., rubber bullets, sabot rounds, game stingers) *The equipment used in these methods must be easily identifiable, at a distance, as a non-lethal weapon. Use of automatic discharge when using these methods is NOT recommended, due to increased risk of injury to the public and marine mammals.
    Methods to Avoid-the following methods and techniques have an increased likelihood to cause injury or mortality and should be avoided
    •No Firearms with "live" (lethal) ammunition
    •No Devices with Injurious Projectiles (e.g., archery gear, crossbows, spear guns, bangsticks)
    •No Sharp/Pointed Objects (harpoons, spears, gaffs, nail studded bats/poles/clubs)
    •No Entangling Devices (e.g., loose webbing, snares, concertina wire)
    •No Aggressive Tactile Methods (e.g., striking animals with bats, hammers, etc.,

And no seal bombs, don't forget "Rollo".

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/feb/08/sports/sp-6159

If you really want to know it was a boat out of 22nd St. Popular boat that makes daily trips to Catalina. When you check in you pick a spot and are given a number. Obviously this is done when the number of people are high.

Seals are warm and fuzzy CUTE animals like the world perceives things of those nature........ thererfore protected.!!! anchovies /sardines ugly = stick a hook in them and let em run towards the big fish!!
    gut /filet alive sculpin while they still flapping kinda deal... HEY no one complains u throw live lobsters/crabs/crawdads into a boiling vat of hot water and spices ????? but sure are yummy

those IRON CHEF shows wud have live fish to select and chop heads off ... imagine if it were a chicken/duck.... don't think live tv wud permit it

people look at u weird if u have a pet reptile /snake/tarantula...

heck buying DOLPHIN SAFE tuna is a great concept ...unless ure the tuna!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAAAAAAHAAAA
    Last edited by BALLERONBUDGET; 08-23-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Last week at Catalina there was a big dog that wouldn't leave.
    Captain made a move and the seal followed. Then cappy told the deck hand to dump the dead bait bucket.
    It worked and we lost the seal. They keep a 5 gallon bucket on the bait tank for dead sardines.

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    With all due respect, you cannot shoot sea lions with a pellet gun, it's illegal, if some captain is shooting them he is lucky he has not been caught yet. He may be using a paint ball gun, which is legal or even a sling shot, but high powered pellet rifles are a no no.

Potential methods for use by fishers to deter Pacific harbor seals and California sea lions from damaging gear or catch (anglers must be actively fishing with gear deployed) Visual Repellents/Noise Makers:
    •boat hazing, circling
    •pounding on hull
    •pyrotechnics (e.g., bird screamers, bangers, underwater firecrackers, cracker shells)
    •starter pistols*
    •horns, bells, whistles Physical Contact:
    •sling shots
    •non-toxic and water soluble paint ball guns*
    •non-lethal ammunition (e.g., rubber bullets, sabot rounds, game stingers) *The equipment used in these methods must be easily identifiable, at a distance, as a non-lethal weapon. Use of automatic discharge when using these methods is NOT recommended, due to increased risk of injury to the public and marine mammals.
    Methods to Avoid-the following methods and techniques have an increased likelihood to cause injury or mortality and should be avoided
    •No Firearms with "live" (lethal) ammunition
    •No Devices with Injurious Projectiles (e.g., archery gear, crossbows, spear guns, bangsticks)
    •No Sharp/Pointed Objects (harpoons, spears, gaffs, nail studded bats/poles/clubs)
    •No Entangling Devices (e.g., loose webbing, snares, concertina wire)
    •No Aggressive Tactile Methods (e.g., striking animals with bats, hammers, etc.,

And no seal bombs, don't forget "Rollo".

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/feb/08/sports/sp-6159
    N

No offense taken!!!! You certainly did your homework!!!!! However, last year we went on a charter on the Sportking. Bruce (captain & owner) was shooting the Seals ALL DAY. (He's still doing it) My friend Glenn who is a stand up guy was appalled by what he thought was illegal activity done by the captain. So we looked it up when we got back home (somewhere) and found a reference it was legal to do that. (made sense since Bruce has too much to lose by shooting Seals if it was illegal) Glenn comes back tonight from fishing trip to Alaska. (I can't wait to get him on a Tuna trip to San Diego) So I'll ask him where we found that reference to shooting Seals with a pellet gun. I'll post the link if I can find it!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-23-2016 at 02:14 PM.

N

No offense taken!!!! You certainly did your homework!!!!! However, last year we went on a charter on the Sportking. Bruce (captain & owner) was shooting the Seals ALL DAY. (He's still doing it) My friend Glenn who is a stand up guy was appalled by what he thought was illegal activity done by the captain. So we looked it up when we got back home (somewhere) and found a reference it was legal to do that. (made sense since Bruce has too much to lose by shooting Seals if it was illegal) Glenn comes back tonight from fishing trip to Alaska. (I can't wait to get him on a Tuna trip to San Diego) So I'll ask him where we found that reference to shooting Seals with a pellet gun. I'll post the link if I can find it!!!!
    I've been a fisherman since I was 5 so I have learned the rules, I've lived mostly in California and always bought a license, back in the day they used to give these books with the rules in them regarding everything associated with fishing including info on the sea life you would encounter, shooting seals and dogs has always been frowned upon, forever...Heavier tackle so you can clear the fish faster is what I was taught, and if you did encounter a pack of dogs you move or bang on the hull to scare them or you keep the bait bucket like OP said..

N

Why don't you ask dfg what they think of shooting seals with a pellet gun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast