Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Disappointed

Too busy standing on your number to see deckhands shooting them dogs with pellets? It happens, and not just on the sport king. Why does FNN like hot button issues so much? Lol

Yeah it sucks when you pay good money for a trip and get nothing. This last month I took and extended 3/4 day out of Newport on the Western Pride to catalina. The deckhands were alright. However, they kept fish that were slightly undersize but I'm sure a lot of boats do that. The captain on the other hand couldn't find the fish for the first half of the day while every other boat found them right away. When we did find the fish they were some giant Bonita and some small calicos, but after a few minutes he would loose them again and we would have to reel up and drive around for another 10 minutes. Its always a hit or miss on these. Just gotta find the good boats

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    Why don't you ask dfg what they think of shooting seals with a pellet gun.
    I had the day off so I decided to go down to the DFG offices in Los Alamitos to ask that very question. I talked to someone in authority and I was shocked by his answer!!!!!! He said the Seals and Seal lions falls under FEDERAL JURSDICTION (Noaa) and the DFG has no authority to enforce Federal law!!!!! I then came up with a good follow up question, "Does Noaa have an enforcement agency working here in California????" Shockingly he didn't know!!!!! That's a perfect example of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-31-2016 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    With all due respect, you cannot shoot sea lions with a pellet gun, it's illegal, if some captain is shooting them he is lucky he has not been caught yet. He may be using a paint ball gun, which is legal or even a sling shot, but high powered pellet rifles are a no no.

Potential methods for use by fishers to deter Pacific harbor seals and California sea lions from damaging gear or catch (anglers must be actively fishing with gear deployed) Visual Repellents/Noise Makers:
    •boat hazing, circling
    •pounding on hull
    •pyrotechnics (e.g., bird screamers, bangers, underwater firecrackers, cracker shells)
    •starter pistols*
    •horns, bells, whistles Physical Contact:
    •sling shots
    •non-toxic and water soluble paint ball guns*
    •non-lethal ammunition (e.g., rubber bullets, sabot rounds, game stingers) *The equipment used in these methods must be easily identifiable, at a distance, as a non-lethal weapon. Use of automatic discharge when using these methods is NOT recommended, due to increased risk of injury to the public and marine mammals.
    Methods to Avoid-the following methods and techniques have an increased likelihood to cause injury or mortality and should be avoided
    •No Firearms with "live" (lethal) ammunition
    •No Devices with Injurious Projectiles (e.g., archery gear, crossbows, spear guns, bangsticks)
    •No Sharp/Pointed Objects (harpoons, spears, gaffs, nail studded bats/poles/clubs)
    •No Entangling Devices (e.g., loose webbing, snares, concertina wire)
    •No Aggressive Tactile Methods (e.g., striking animals with bats, hammers, etc.,

And no seal bombs, don't forget "Rollo".

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/feb/08/sports/sp-6159
    Guy's I'm not here to ruffle anyone feathers!!! I just like a good debate!!!! I spent several hours on the internet looking up everything I could find about shooting Seals with a pellet gun. Other forums ask the same question and they felt it was legal. (I know that's not a good enough source for information) But what I did find out is you can touch them with no lethal projectiles as long as you don't break the skin. Let's go back to our Junior High science class and answer this question, "How do some animals survive in severe cold??? (both on land and in the water) Think about it for a minute and come up with your answer. If you answered because they have thick hides or blubber you are correct!!!! Now ask your self this question, "How thick is a seals skin?????" Pretty darn thick to survive in the Pacific ocean. So now ask yourself this question, "Would a spring operated pellet gun break the skin of a Seal???" I personally don't think so but I'm not an expert!!!! Here is another question, "What the heck is a sabot round or a game stinger????" Which according to the regulations is perfectly legal to shoot Seals with. Read my other comment about the DFG enforcement roll in all of this. I did see a telephone number to Noaa, which if I can't sleep one night I'll look it up and ask them!!! This is all for fun, so nobody get their underwear in a wad over this!!!! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-31-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Guy's I'm not here to ruffle anyone feathers!!! I just like a good debate!!!! I spent several hours on the internet looking up everything I could find about shooting Seals with a pellet gun. Other forums ask the same question and they felt it was legal. (that's not good enough I know) But what I did find out is you can touch them with no lethal projectiles as long as you don't break the skin. Let's go back to our Junior High science class and answer this question, "How do some animals survive in severe cold??? (both on land and in the water) Think about it for a minute and come up with your answer. If you answered because they have thick hides or blubber you are correct!!!! Now ask your self this question, "How thick is a seals skin?????" Pretty darn thick to survive in the Pacific ocean. So now ask yourself this question, "Would a spring operated pellet gun break the skin of a Seal???" I personally don't think so but I'm not an expert!!!! Here is another question, "What the heck is a sabot round or a game stinger????" Which according to the regulations is legal to shoot a Seal with. Read my other comment about the DFG enforcement roll in all of this. I did see a telephone number to Nooa, which if I can't sleep one night I'll look it up and ask them!!! This is all for fun, so nobody get their underwear in a wad over this!!!! lol
    A good debate ? I challenge you to go shoot a seal/sea lion in front of a warden and see what happens.

" The U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) protects all marine mammals, including cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises), pinnipeds (seals and sea lions), sirenians (manatees and dugongs), sea otters, and polar bears within the waters of the United States.

The Act makes it illegal to "take" marine mammals without a permit. This means people may not harass, feed, hunt, capture, collect, or kill any marine mammal or part of a marine mammal. The Act also formalized the marine mammal health and stranding response program to improve the response of stranding and unusual mortality events. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration web site gives the complete text of the Act.

The MMPA is managed by the federal government. The National Marine Fisheries Service, part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration within the Department of Commerce, is responsible for managing cetaceans, otariids, and phocids. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, part of the Department of the Interior, is responsible for managing odobenids, sirenians, otters, and polar bears. The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, part of the Department of Agriculture, is responsible for regulations managing the facilities that house marine mammals in captivity."

A good debate ? I challenge you to go shoot a seal/sea lion in front of a warden and see what happens.

" The U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) protects all marine mammals, including cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises), pinnipeds (seals and sea lions), sirenians (manatees and dugongs), sea otters, and polar bears within the waters of the United States.

The Act makes it illegal to "take" marine mammals without a permit. This means people may not harass, feed, hunt, capture, collect, or kill any marine mammal or part of a marine mammal. The Act also formalized the marine mammal health and stranding response program to improve the response of stranding and unusual mortality events. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration web site gives the complete text of the Act.

The MMPA is managed by the federal government. The National Marine Fisheries Service, part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration within the Department of Commerce, is responsible for managing cetaceans, otariids, and phocids. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, part of the Department of the Interior, is responsible for managing odobenids, sirenians, otters, and polar bears. The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, part of the Department of Agriculture, is responsible for regulations managing the facilities that house marine mammals in captivity."
    Looks like I'll be looking up Noaa's number and calling them!!!! BUT the DFG personnel who I spoke too, (who is the one who supposedly answer's these questions) said it's not an DFG enforceable subject!!! Here is his number (562) 598-1032 Call him up and give him your arguments!!!!! Then let us know what he told you!!!!! lol I'll be giving everybody on here a full report what Noaa tells me after I call them!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-31-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Looks like I'll be looking up Noaa's number and calling them!!!! BUT the DFG personal who I spoke too, (who is the one who supposedly answer's these question) said it's not an DFG enforceable subject!!! Here is his number (562) 598-1032 Call him up and give him your arguments!!!!! Then let us know what he told you!!!!! lol I'll give everybody on here a full report what Noaa tells me after I call them!!!!!!
    Why is this so important ? I don't have to call them, I've seen people get tickets for throwing rocks at them.

Why is this so important ? I don't have to call them, I've seen people get tickets for throwing rocks at them.
    maybe the laws are different if you're on land as opposed to being on a boat in the ocean... try shooting a seal at a jetty and you'd probably get your as's kicked...

by a mom...

Quote Originally Posted by hookdfisherman View Post
    maybe the laws are different if you're on land as opposed to being on a boat in the ocean... try shooting a seal at a jetty and you'd probably get your as's kicked...

by a mom...

Hook you're are 100% correct!!!!!! To be legally able to deter a Seal, "you must be in the act of fishing!!!!" The boat part makes sense too!!!!!

Hook you're are 100% correct!!!!!! To be legally able to deter a Seal, "you must be in the act of fishing!!!!" The boat part makes sense too!!!!!

thx dude.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234