Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Boating and Launching on the Lower River in CA.

Default Boating and Launching on the Lower River in CA.

The best place to launch,fish and camp is the Squaw Lake boat ramp and the Senator Lake Wash to camp at. It's not a wash like you might imagine but rather a nice sized lake all on it's own.

You find few Los Angeles fisherman down that far. That being said they seem to stop at the Blythe area and except for the die-hard catfishermen. You seem to get the crowd from San Diego that far south and for some reason their are a lot less crazies out on the water making it better for fishing,boating and families. Try it out for a slower less hurried change of pace.

YFP

Nice, and thanks for the tip, where exactly is this in relation to Blythe or even Yuma? I have fished Blythe, Fishers Landing out of Yuma, Katherine's Landing, Willow Beach, Havasue, but never Squaw Lake. What is the main target species?

Squaw Lake is maybe six miles +/- down river from Fishers Landing. As far as targets, I fish bass, and there are the usual catfish, and pan fish. I do better fishing Senators Wash than Squaw Lake. Senators wash is on the other side of the road, from Squaw Lake, but does not provide access to the river. Squaw Lake has a much better launch ramp than Senators Wash. I usually trade the ramp for the bite, and fish Senators Wash, LMB, Small Mouth, Stripers, plus the usual suspects.

How do you launch at senators wash? I would gladly give up ease and comfort for getting bit any day! I am hoping to resume my fishing fun in the real near future!

As you approach the dam that separates Squaw lake from Senators Wash take the left fork into the Senators Wash parking area. The pay station is right at the entrance. From the pay station go straight through the parking area and the ramp entrance is there. The ramp is H shaped. Two narrow launch roads, with a cross ramp about half way down. Take either left or right launch road, use the cross for a U turn, to get you boat toward the water (or back all the way to start). The Park watchers, if they are there, are nice people. I am sure you can drive in and look over the ramp. then decide if you want to use it. The walk up from the water isn't any hill for a high stepper, and nothing like Diamond Valley, but is a small hill. Good luck.