Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time harbor fishing this weekend

Just be aware that some boat owners may get grumpy when you fish their docks. I'm quite sure they can't actually do anything about it though.

I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, but I was curious, so I looked into this and it depends on where you are... exactly. In general, the harbor is "Tidelands" and therefore Public Trust Land owned by the citizens of California, however, the issue is where the "Tidelands" begin and where "private property" ends. There is a "bulkhead line" and a "pierhead line" and public water starts and ends at the bulkhead line. On the peninsula, the bulkhead line is defined about halfway between the end of the longest docks and the shore. For Balboa island, the bulkhead line is basically the boardwalk and everything on the harbor side of that is public water (in other words, "public" water extends all the way to the beach). Regardless of public water, the docks themselves are still private and touching them is trespassing.

Homeowners pay for the construction and maintenance of the docks and they also pay rent to the City of Newport for the privilege of having their dock on a public waterway. Someone shelling out $800/yr for dock space rental is likely to feel that whatever water is around that dock is also theirs, which may or may not be true, depending on where you are.

There are also a few exceptions, like the Linda Isle lagoon which are not considered a Tidelands public waterway.

You can check it out here (pdf) Residential Piers

Thanks guys really appreciate it! I absolutely want to follow all the rules so that was helpful. I've also learned from other information that some feel it is ok to launch from the small lido island parks but this is not ok and those are all association parks and launching or even being at the parks is trespassing. You may get away with it if no one is around but I just don't want to take that chance.

Thanks to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    Just be aware that some boat owners may get grumpy when you fish their docks. I'm quite sure they can't actually do anything about it though.

I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, but I was curious, so I looked into this and it depends on where you are... exactly. In general, the harbor is "Tidelands" and therefore Public Trust Land owned by the citizens of California, however, the issue is where the "Tidelands" begin and where "private property" ends. There is a "bulkhead line" and a "pierhead line" and public water starts and ends at the bulkhead line. On the peninsula, the bulkhead line is defined about halfway between the end of the longest docks and the shore. For Balboa island, the bulkhead line is basically the boardwalk and everything on the harbor side of that is public water (in other words, "public" water extends all the way to the beach). Regardless of public water, the docks themselves are still private and touching them is trespassing.

Homeowners pay for the construction and maintenance of the docks and they also pay rent to the City of Newport for the privilege of having their dock on a public waterway. Someone shelling out $800/yr for dock space rental is likely to feel that whatever water is around that dock is also theirs, which may or may not be true, depending on where you are.

There are also a few exceptions, like the Linda Isle lagoon which are not considered a Tidelands public waterway.

You can check it out here (pdf) Residential Piers

Sorry. I wasn't clear where I mentioned boat owners and their docks. I should have said fishing near the pilings of their docks from your kayak. I absolutely do not condone fishing off of private docks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    FWIW, I never knew about fish attractants until I went to salt water, so if they're new to you too, I would recommend Pro-Cure Calico Cocktail. The fish seem to bite more aggressively with it.
    I have used Pro-Cure, I now use Bio-Edge. It was developed for both the fresh and salt water alike. Many flavors to choose from and it stays on longer. Lots of bites.

SP Dan <"))><

This probably goes with out saying ... for a fun time ..... PDF's all around.

SP Dan <"))><

Can someone give me some info and spots in NPH? I hear it is very good but when I search on Google Maps, I don't know what people are talking about. I am fishing from shore but a kayak or boat rental place would be good if there is one near by.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal_Fishing View Post
    Can someone give me some info and spots in NPH? I hear it is very good but when I search on Google Maps, I don't know what people are talking about. I am fishing from shore but a kayak or boat rental place would be good if there is one near by.
    Daveys locker you can rent a skiff for half day or full day. On here they have a map of Newport harbor and place to fish on it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12