Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time harbor fishing this weekend

Default First time harbor fishing this weekend

my son has been begging for me to take him out to the salt to do some fishing. I have only fished freshwater except for the occasional cattle boat or pier fishing. I've done a lot of research on this site and others and I've narrowed our first trip down to Dana point harbor or nph. I wanted an experts opinion on which they prefer. We will be targeting spotties and I received my load of big hammer swimbaits yesterday and I'll take some of my freshwater spinnerbaits as well. I've already looked at the tides for this weekend so I think I have that down although I'm still concerned about the unknown of salt water in a kayak even if it is in a protected harbor. If anyone has any other advice or cautions for a new harbor kayak fisherman with his 10 year old I'd appreciate it. Wish us luck and ill post some pics of we happen to get lucky. Just looking forward to trying something new.

If u want to stay in the harbor I'd go to newport. The docks can hold a lot spoties and u can get a good mixed bag around the bait barge and channel. I use swimbaits and drop shot at the docks for spots. Spoons and hard baits can score some Cuda and calico around the barge and jettys. Dana is good for a short paddle to open ocean and big calico around the kelp but it can get choppy in the late morning. The harbor at dana is pretty small as well. Wherever u go, be safe and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by StumpFisher View Post
    my son has been begging for me to take him out to the salt to do some fishing. I have only fished freshwater except for the occasional cattle boat or pier fishing. I've done a lot of research on this site and others and I've narrowed our first trip down to Dana point harbor or nph. I wanted an experts opinion on which they prefer. We will be targeting spotties and I received my load of big hammer swimbaits yesterday and I'll take some of my freshwater spinnerbaits as well. I've already looked at the tides for this weekend so I think I have that down although I'm still concerned about the unknown of salt water in a kayak even if it is in a protected harbor. If anyone has any other advice or cautions for a new harbor kayak fisherman with his 10 year old I'd appreciate it. Wish us luck and ill post some pics of we happen to get lucky. Just looking forward to trying something new.
    Newport will be your best bet. The perfect place to put your kayak in the water is at the coast guard dock area the parking is free but limited so get there early. It has a nice beach to launch out of plus restrooms to use if you need to.

Safe enough at NPH.
    There will be [plenty of other yakkers, paddle boarders and row teams out there.
    Cast in between the boats and docks on the shade side.
    Hit up the Southeast side of the little island, drag your Big Head and wait for the flatties to bite.
    Good Luck,
    Robert
    <><

FWIW, I never knew about fish attractants until I went to salt water, so if they're new to you too, I would recommend Pro-Cure Calico Cocktail. The fish seem to bite more aggressively with it.

Thank you to everyone! Good tip about the fish attractant, I've read about uni butter as well. Thank God for amazon prime though because the pro cure is on its way before Sunday :)

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Safe enough at NPH.
    There will be [plenty of other yakkers, paddle boarders and row teams out there.
    Cast in between the boats and docks on the shade side.
    Hit up the Southeast side of the little island, drag your Big Head and wait for the flatties to bite.
    Good Luck,
    Robert
    <><
    When you mentioned the little island did you mean lido or bay island? I know bay is really tiny and not sure it is even considered much of an island so wasn't sure. Thanks again

Another vote for NPH. It gives plenty of options. The bait barge is an almost sure bet for calicos, macs and cudas but you will have to deal with aggressive sea dogs and birds. The dock pilings are good for spotties; especially when there's current. You're never too far from a dock or the shore in case you have to swim for it or the winds get too bad. Just be aware that some boat owners may get grumpy when you fish their docks. I'm quite sure they can't actually do anything about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettobasster View Post
    another vote for nph. It gives plenty of options. The bait barge is an almost sure bet for calicos, macs and cudas but you will have to deal with aggressive sea dogs and birds. The dock pilings are good for spotties; especially when there's current
    x3..............nph

Quote Originally Posted by StumpFisher View Post
    When you mentioned the little island did you mean lido or bay island? I know bay is really tiny and not sure it is even considered much of an island so wasn't sure. Thanks again
    He is taking about balboa island there is a island next to it called little island it's closer to the coast guard dock area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast