Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about live bait

Default question about live bait

yeah i have a question about live bait. do they sell it anymore? I don't mean night crawlers either. I mean crawdads , waterdogs, mudsuckers, crickets etc. There used to be a place by my house called CB'S tackle that use to have them years ago. but since charlie sold the place I haven't seen them since. And before some of the bass fisherman get boo-boo hurt saying that's cheating. If I take my grandchildren out fishing. I want to have every resource available to put them on fish and not have them bored. I remember when i was a kid. there was a guy in a camper by the moreno beach entrance to lake perris that had all that stuff. and yes that was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    yeah i have a question about live bait. do they sell it anymore? I don't mean night crawlers either. I mean crawdads , waterdogs, mudsuckers, crickets etc. There used to be a place by my house called CB'S tackle that use to have them years ago. but since charlie sold the place I haven't seen them since. And before some of the bass fisherman get boo-boo hurt saying that's cheating. If I take my grandchildren out fishing. I want to have every resource available to put them on fish and not have them bored. I remember when i was a kid. there was a guy in a camper by the moreno beach entrance to lake perris that had all that stuff. and yes that was a long time ago.
    Find a creek that had crawdads in it and put a crawfish trap out to get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    Find a creek that had crawdads in it and put a crawfish trap out to get your own.
    ok. then where do i get waterdogs or mud suckers?

Unfortunately, California's tree huggers have changed the rules since you were a wee one... most of the lakes will only allow "indigenious species" in their lakes now. When you have your boat inspected, they ask you if you have any bait with you, and that can lead to being told you can't use said bait. Even crawdads can be an issue, for what it's worth. Not trying to bash you here buddy, just attempting to explain how things work.

thanks for the info.

thanks for the info.
    You can still use crawfish for bait. I had a screenshot of it but it would not let my upload it. But check out this website https://map.dfg.ca.gov/sportfishingregs/

ok. then where do i get waterdogs or mud suckers?
    Waterdogs are no long allowed to be used as bait.

Petco, Petsmart all sell feeder goldfish and minnows for like thirteen cents each. The problem is, they aren't open at 5AM, so you have to get em right before 9pm closing and keep them alive all night. But don't do that, because it would be WRONG.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG107 View Post
    Petco, Petsmart all sell feeder goldfish and minnows for like thirteen cents each. The problem is, they aren't open at 5AM, so you have to get em right before 9pm closing and keep them alive all night. But don't do that, because it would be WRONG.
    If he was fishing the Colorado River area he could use them for bait. Big flathead catfish love live bait.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    If he was fishing the Colorado River area he could use them for bait. Big flathead catfish love live bait.
    yep dont get caught using them anywhere other then the Colorado River district,,,, water dogs/ salamander are illegal to use anywhere in cali,,, goldfish are good bait out at the river,,,, fish in my avatar was caught on a 2'' goldie ,,,, get the petsmart feeder goldfish for crappie bait to use on the Topock Marsh,,,,,golden shiners can be still used in most of cali

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast