Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: My first ever ocean fishing trip with Jeff and Arthur.

Default My first ever ocean fishing trip with Jeff and Arthur.

I've been bugging Arthur Wingnut for at least a year now to take me fishing out on the ocean for my first time. The last time I went fishing was with him and Bob Troutonly so many years ago at Pyramid Lake for Stripers. Then finally, yesterday I get an invite from Arthur to fish with him and Jeff Webmaster on the coolest boat the Kolomona.
    Originally their plan was to launch from Dan Diego and go fish for Tuna. But Jeff and Arthur thought since this was my first trip ever, we should stay local and fish Catalina.
    I'm kind of glad, because I sorta had a hard time with my first trip.

Arthur asked if I get seasick and I told him I've been on all kinds of boats and never got sick. He said this is different and insist that I take a Bonine pill before I get on the boat.
    He was right, I was fighting seasickness the entire trip. But I didn't throw up, just went and laid down every time it got bad. I'm glad I took that pill or else it would have been much worse. Next time, they suggested the seasick patch and I will look into that for sure.

As for the fishing, the first saltwater fish I caught was a 20 pounds Yellowtail and I'm embarrassed to say that I needed help to reel it in. After fighting it for 5 minutes I had to hand it off to Arthur to finish the job and land it. Maybe with a little more practice and experience I will do better next time. Eventhough they didn't want to, towards the end of the trip, we went fishing for Perch just so I can get in on some catching and I had a blast catching our limits of Perch, some Bonito and Calico Bass. Thank you Jeff and Arthur for being so patient with me, I appreciate the kindness and support.

I had a great time and brought home alot of fish. Thanks again Jeff and Arthur for a great first time trip.

Pierre

Here are some photos that Jeff and Arthur took of our trip.

Thumbs up

Pierre, you actually did a pretty good job for your first time bro.
    Definitely wear the Scopace Patch next time.

We always have a great time fishing with Jeff on the Kolo, he is the best!

The highlight of the trip happened when you were knocked out in the cabin.
    Jeff hooked up to a nice Yellow and fought it on 12# line with his coffee grinder (spinning outfit). The fish got itself wrapped around the anchor line and we struggled to free it... I ended up pulling up the anchor by hand while Jeff got it untwisted. It was a miracle that he landed that fish.

Good times!

Great first report Pierre. Being seasick is definitely not fun. Jeff and Arthur are stand-up people and you were in good company of skilled fishermen and friends. Looking forward to more reports and next time you'll whoop that yellowtail easily.

-Peter

Congrats on your YT.
    Just hard to believe you needed assistance with the fish...
    Thanks for sharing,
    Robert
    <><

..........nice..............

Great report, thanks!

Great report Pierre and very nice pics you guys! Pierre, you don't look too bad, not very green! Seasickness is one of the reasons I stopped fishing in the ocean. I was so sick several times years ago, (even though I was using all kinds of anti-seasickness remedies), I said "nope, never again", and I became a hardcore freshwater bass guy.

Congrats. Did you eat the heart? :)

Sounds like a great trip! Definately look into the patch...I used to always get sicker than a dog on boats even when the conditions were pretty calm...but if I took a pill...I was like the walking dead...stuff makes me nearly pass out. The patch allowed me to get over all that so I gradually started graduating toward longer trips..overnight...to 1-1/2..to 3-day...to 5-day...to 10-day. The patch is great because 1 patch lasts for 3-days..no drowsiness...just a little drymouth...but thats just a good excuse to crack a cold IPA...