Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: First Time Result

Default First Time Result

My first saltwater rod, first time in the surf, first time with LC lure, first corbina!

The new rod arrived late yesterday, so I went out early this morning and had a blast! Got to the end of the road spot in Belmont a few minutes before 5:00 and hit the surf in the dark. Just me and a couple of other fishermen on the beach.

Compared to my pea shooter trout rod, this 8 ft surf rod is a cannon. I'm going to be on the learning curve with it for a while.

Terns were hitting the water maybe 20 yards offshore so I cast to the same area and wham! Good fight, took line, I got so excited, I almost said a bad word!

Fished until the sun was well up and then had to run. Had one more hookup but he got off about five feet from being landed. Looked like a barred.

This is fun.

Still learning the local fish, but I'm pretty sure this is a corbina.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corbina.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	48900

See you out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    My first saltwater rod, first time in the surf, first time with LC lure, first corbina!

The new rod arrived late yesterday, so I went out early this morning and had a blast! Got to the end of the road spot in Belmont a few minutes before 5:00 and hit the surf in the dark. Just me and a couple of other fishermen on the beach.

Compared to my pea shooter trout rod, this 8 ft surf rod is a cannon. I'm going to be on the learning curve with it for a while.

Terns were hitting the water maybe 20 yards offshore so I cast to the same area and wham! Good fight, took line, I got so excited, I almost said a bad word!

Fished until the sun was well up and then had to run. Had one more hookup but he got off about five feet from being landed. Looked like a barred.

This is fun.

Still learning the local fish, but I'm pretty sure this is a corbina.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corbina.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	48900

See you out there!
    Good job and yes that is a corbina.

Welcome to the addiction, and congrats on your first

Great job all around Sir!!
    And just think .... how exciting all of these firsts have been so far (especially a Corbina on your first session) ..... but you still have many more "firsts" or as we refer to them ... "NS" new species, coming down the pipe your way .... be ready!! Best of luck!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 08-22-2016 at 04:41 PM.