Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips?

I dont know for sure when they gonna stock this lake. It is reginial park just like gusti lake where you have to pay some fee to use the lake like 8 bucks but you have to have fishing license though. Anyway from what I read and talk to persons there were plenty of catfish and carp being caught from this lake. Last time i was there 2-3 months ago I caught 3 lost 1.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
    I dont know for sure when they gonna stock this lake. It is reginial park just like gusti lake where you have to pay some fee to use the lake like 8 bucks but you have to have fishing license though. Anyway from what I read and talk to persons there were plenty of catfish and carp being caught from this lake. Last time i was there 2-3 months ago I caught 3 lost 1.
    Nice - I need to go back there, what fig/bait you used? Maybe i'll head out there on labor day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by rickenrocker View Post
    Really..lake henshaw??? do you know when they last stocked it? or where i can see the next schedule>?
    They are not planted catfish. If you go there take a hike towards the dam good fishing there for the catfish

Nice - I need to go back there, what fig/bait you used? Maybe i'll head out there on labor day weekend.
    It's a waste of money for the catfish fishing there I was there yesterday and only got one small catfish and my friend got a nice one that was close to 4lbs. The ppl that were doing good there were breaking the rules they where fishing off the rails and jumping over the fence and dropping there lines on the dock to get the catfish.

Some good suggestions you have received. Carolina rig is the go to method. As far as bait goes, catfish prefer stinkbait. Mackerel, shrimp, liver are popular choices. I use pike mackerel myself. I buy them frozen from Korean grocery stores and chopped them into 1 inch wide pieces. I often soak them in an attractant for a few hours.

One factor I will say is that the catfish in SARL (compared to the now closed Irvine lake) seem to show interest in marshmallows. I have never caught catfish this way at Irvine, but it seems to work surprisingly well at SARL.

SARL does offer night time fishing so going in the evening is another option. Going during the afternoon is a waste of time and you will just get sunburned. Early morning until about 9 and evening hours from 8 to 11 are when you have the best odds.

Quote Originally Posted by hotramen View Post
    Some good suggestions you have received. Carolina rig is the go to method. As far as bait goes, catfish prefer stinkbait. Mackerel, shrimp, liver are popular choices. I use pike mackerel myself. I buy them frozen from Korean grocery stores and chopped them into 1 inch wide pieces. I often soak them in an attractant for a few hours.

One factor I will say is that the catfish in SARL (compared to the now closed Irvine lake) seem to show interest in marshmallows. I have never caught catfish this way at Irvine, but it seems to work surprisingly well at SARL.

SARL does offer night time fishing so going in the evening is another option. Going during the afternoon is a waste of time and you will just get sunburned. Early morning until about 9 and evening hours from 8 to 11 are when you have the best odds.
    what attractant you use? and marshmallows? to make the bait float only right?

I'm going to SARL this Saturday, never caught anything there before, debating if i should go morning or night shift, what you guys think?

what attractant you use? and marshmallows? to make the bait float only right?

I'm going to SARL this Saturday, never caught anything there before, debating if i should go morning or night shift, what you guys think?
    Haha, this is almost identical to my original post in this thread.

Ornery Bob, in the 2nd post in this thread, stated to get there early if you're doing morning fishing. He also mentioned some of the spots where he caught fish at.

On my trip here, I got here a bit too late. I didn't catch anything, but it was still fun. I'm just not sure I'd be willing to pay that price again until I've actually caught a fish and a bit more experienced.

I have tried various attractants. One that I use consistently is made by bite on. It is strong stuff so be prepared to have smelly hands.

Marshmallows do partially suspend it. Several members on here have said that it may be because casting from shore at SARL will often put your bait on a downward slope. Because of this suspending bait might work better. Not sure if this will work on an inflated nightcrawler as well.

Whether you go at night or evening you should not be discouraged. It is fishing and I think spending time outdoors beats any day stuck in an office pushing paper.

Quote Originally Posted by hotramen View Post
    I have tried various attractants. One that I use consistently is made by bite on. It is strong stuff so be prepared to have smelly hands.

Marshmallows do partially suspend it. Several members on here have said that it may be because casting from shore at SARL will often put your bait on a downward slope. Because of this suspending bait might work better. Not sure if this will work on an inflated nightcrawler as well.

Whether you go at night or evening you should not be discouraged. It is fishing and I think spending time outdoors beats any day stuck in an office pushing paper.
    ok imma try that biteon and marshmallow - going to SARL this saturday and man dont to get skunked(2nd time going there; no luck). thx for the prompt response.

Been out of the seen for a bit now because it seems not to be COOL if your wife has a baby and you go fishing the next day :-( who made up these's rules. LOL, well am planing my return trip to SARL on LABOR Day hopefully with DOVE Season opening the lake doesnt get crazy packed.

Catfish at SARL are a complete different beast then Catfish at any other local lake the beat by their OWN drum, the Catfish here tend to school up and stay in the same location for long periods of time so do not plan to camp out and remain in one location for longer than an hour maybe even a half an hour if the fish are not biting move thats the best advice I can give also the Catfish here prefer their food suspended and not on the floor maybe because of the weeds or something else being down there but using marshmallows are your best choice, it SUCKS i can no longer take my boat to the lake but if you get a nice group of friends the best fishing is done fly-lining form a boat so get a group together and rent a pontoon :-) if anyone wants to join me ill be doing some shore fishing labor day weekend and with a baby at home i plan to be a the lake ALLL Day :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast