Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by jhernandez25 View Post
    Been out of the seen for a bit now because it seems not to be COOL if your wife has a baby and you go fishing the next day :-( who made up these's rules. LOL, well am planing my return trip to SARL on LABOR Day hopefully with DOVE Season opening the lake doesnt get crazy packed.

Catfish at SARL are a complete different beast then Catfish at any other local lake the beat by their OWN drum, the Catfish here tend to school up and stay in the same location for long periods of time so do not plan to camp out and remain in one location for longer than an hour maybe even a half an hour if the fish are not biting move thats the best advice I can give also the Catfish here prefer their food suspended and not on the floor maybe because of the weeds or something else being down there but using marshmallows are your best choice, it SUCKS i can no longer take my boat to the lake but if you get a nice group of friends the best fishing is done fly-lining form a boat so get a group together and rent a pontoon :-) if anyone wants to join me ill be doing some shore fishing labor day weekend and with a baby at home i plan to be a the lake ALLL Day :-)
    Hey jhernandez! I might be available to join you on Labor Day if my gf happens to work that day. I must warn you, I'm a noob. Lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	48958
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenrocker View Post
    ok imma try that biteon and marshmallow - going to SARL this saturday and man dont to get skunked(2nd time going there; no luck). thx for the prompt response.
    Marshmallow to me just another way to spread attractant into water(sugar and fever), not really help the bait to float as mush. You can try adding small float between hook and swivel to make the bait suspended.

Another thing you can try is to dip shrimp into penut butter for adding attractant to your bait. Dont forget to peel the shrimp shell out before.

This is the rig i use when drift fishing for catfish.

Quote Originally Posted by briseno09 View Post
    Hey jhernandez! I might be available to join you on Labor Day if my gf happens to work that day. I must warn you, I'm a noob. Lol
    Sounds good, I can guarantee you to get you on some fish but fishing is always a good time especially with people. if you plan on mainly fishing SARL you should definitely plan on getting a float tube the work great for both catfish and trout, we were all noobs at some point the thing is not giving up and going out there. hit me up if you plan on going (562) 294-1327

A super good basic book is TROUT FISHING IN CALIFORNIA by RONNIE KOVACH. It used to be everywhere before he died. You can still get them on Amazon. It's a great "basic" book and you'll be getting on trout next. Catfish season will be ending soon enough.

Default Get out deeper after the sun rises

Try using an 8' Daiwa (~$40?) And put a split shot 2' up and just above that make a sugar cube weight (3 or 4 cubes) 6" above that so you'll have enough weight to cast and they'll dissolve away leaving just the split shot. Let me know if you need a picture of it.

Something else...if you're able to meet up with an experienced member of this board at SARL or elsewhere else, have them show you how to use minijigs and plastic worms and Powermouses. It'll payoff when it's trout season.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtrout View Post
    Something else...if you're able to meet up with an experienced member of this board at SARL or elsewhere else, have them show you how to use minijigs and plastic worms and Powermouses. It'll payoff when it's trout season.
    Thanks for all the help! I decided to give SARL a break until trout season is in full bloom. SARL was getting too hefty on the wallet(been there 3 times now without a bite). I've gotten lucky with some saltwater fishing at Belmont pier and also at Legg Lake. I tried puddingstone last week, but got skunked there as well(Drop shotting Senkos, crankbaits, and a spinner with no luck).

Planning on going out somewhere this Saturday. Possibly Santa Fe Dam.

However, before my next trip to SARL, I'll be sure to check back here to see if any of the experienced guys will be out there the same day. I'll bring some beer and other misc beverages

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234