Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips?

Default Tips?

Hey guys, I am fairly new to fishing and new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on fishing these lakes? I have a trip planned with a few friends for this Saturday morning. I have yet to catch my first fish and I'm really hoping to catch one this weekend. I have two rods and reels(both spinning). One is a Zebco(my beginner rod), and I just picked up an Ugly Stik GX2, specifically for this trip. The Zebco came pre spooled with 2 pound test I believe. I have a fresh spool of some 15 pound microfilament test that I am going to spool onto the Ugly Stik. I also picked up some crankbaits, circle hooks, weights, a scale, and a large set of plastics(senkos, and other bass-related items).

I was going to try another lake like Legg lake, or perhaps Santa Fe dam, but I don't know which place will give me my best shot at catching some fish. Any hint, tips, suggestions, are welcome. Thanks in advance guys.

I've never fished the others, but I'm familiar with Santa Ana River Lakes and at this time of year, they're stocking catfish and tilapia. I've never fished for tilapia, but for catfish, I've always used a Carolina rig and any kind of oily/stinky bait from strips of cut mackerel to the Berkley catfish powerbaits. The typical setup is to cast out, let the sinker hit bottom and then reel in until you have tension on the line and then back off to give some slack and then wait.

15lb test is a bit of overkill for So Cal lakes, but it's not a problem in any way. Catfish aren't line shy in my experience.

I've done well at La Palma Corner and the Western side of the North shore point. I suggest going well before opening and getting in line as it can get crowded. WeatherUnderground says the wind won't pick up until the afternoon, so you should be OK to fish any part of the lake, but I prefer a spot where I can set my chair right at the water's edge.

Be safe and have fun!

The 15lb test won't do you any good in most socal lakes. I never use anything over 10, usually stick to 4, 6, 8 though... You'll get more bites the lighter you can go on your line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    I've never fished the others, but I'm familiar with Santa Ana River Lakes and at this time of year, they're stocking catfish and tilapia. I've never fished for tilapia, but for catfish, I've always used a Carolina rig and any kind of oily/stinky bait from strips of cut mackerel to the Berkley catfish powerbaits. The typical setup is to cast out, let the sinker hit bottom and then reel in until you have tension on the line and then back off to give some slack and then wait.

15lb test is a bit of overkill for So Cal lakes, but it's not a problem in any way. Catfish aren't line shy in my experience.

I've done well at La Palma Corner and the Western side of the North shore point. I suggest going well before opening and getting in line as it can get crowded. WeatherUnderground says the wind won't pick up until the afternoon, so you should be OK to fish any part of the lake, but I prefer a spot where I can set my chair right at the water's edge.

Be safe and have fun!
    Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed response! I was planning to get there at 8, but now I think I'll go earlier to beat the lines. I'm looking up videos on how to run a Carolina rug so I can set that up tonight and apply bait once I'm there. Again thanks! I'll be recording and ready to take pictures in case I catch anything. I'll be sure to post the link here so some of you can check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    The 15lb test won't do you any good in most socal lakes. I never use anything over 10, usually stick to 4, 6, 8 though... You'll get more bites the lighter you can go on your line.
    Ahh, that's why ornery Bob mentioned that it's overkill. I'll pick up some 6 pound before heading out and save the 15# in case I ever do some saltwater. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post

Be safe and have fun!
    Hey Bob, may you point me to the type of powerbait you are referring to?

Where can I buy mackerel(I live in LA) before I head to SARL? live then cut them up there or frozen?

Quote Originally Posted by rickenrocker View Post
    Where can I buy mackerel(I live in LA) before I head to SARL? live then cut them up there or frozen?
    Asian markets. Try 99 ranch, seafood city or island Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    Asian markets. Try 99 ranch, seafood city or island Pacific

Ahh! 99 Ranch! didnt thin of that - hopefully they carry live. thx bro

Quote Originally Posted by rickenrocker View Post
    Ahh! 99 Ranch! didnt thin of that - hopefully they carry live. thx bro
    They are not a live. I always get my bait at the Asian markets. Lol the two Asian markets by my house know me because I'm always getting bait there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast