Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: More Long Beach Docks with the trout rod.

Default More Long Beach Docks with the trout rod.

Some old fat guy who doesn't know you can't fish saltwater with a trout rod. I have to admit, this saltwater stuff is addicting and I'm ready to "move up," so I ordered a surf rod and next weekend will be my first attempt at surf fishing!

https://youtu.be/2Y4bLZjfCQc

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    Some old fat guy who doesn't know you can't fish saltwater with a trout rod. I have to admit, this saltwater stuff is addicting and I'm ready to "move up," so I ordered a surf rod and next weekend will be my first attempt at surf fishing!

https://youtu.be/2Y4bLZjfCQc
    You really don't need a surf rod. I fish with a 7 foot rod in the surf with 12lb line and I do good.

What rod did you order?

I ordered a Daiwa SLS802MFS. It's a budget rod and I'm a budget guy but I wanted something that could handle the 5/8 oz LC's and none of my current rods do better than 3/8 oz. I've scrambled around on the rocks a bit and a longer and beefier rod will give me more options all around. It's still a relatively lightweight rod and definitely not a 10 ft behemoth. It's a first step into a new direction for me and finding my way is part of the entertainment.

Welcome to tbe addiction Bob. Looking forward to seeing your adventure.

Hey Bob, I know that spot well my 15 year old son introduced me to that spot about a year and a half ago. We have been there many times and caught lots of fish. I think the fishing there seems to better on a rising tide or high tide. Your right the parking can be kind of tough I always bring at least 2 hours worth of quarters. That was a cool video you shot we haven't been there in over a month watching the video makes me want get back there especially since we live on the other side of the bridge. Good luck with new equipment might even us there sometime.

That last one in the video looked pretty scrappy! I tried fishing about a year ago across the harbor from that location, a park area just off the bow of the Queen Mary. Lot of sketchy "local" folks, glad my kids were hanging with Mom up on the ship. Fun video, and good luck with your new outfit!

I tried fishing about a year ago across the harbor from that location, a park area just off the bow of the Queen Mary. Lot of sketchy "local" folks,

The infamous Pier J fishing spot. Most people bait fishing. Usually a bit trashy and definitely a dodgy vibe but if you walk seaward of the parking spot it's not so bad. The rocks there are huge and tough for me to scramble on so I ended up being pretty far off the water and my little trout rod didn't give me access to much territory. I got a couple of bites on the swimbait and that was it. I'm sure I'll try going back with the bigger rod in my quest to hit all the local spots I can.

Nice vid,I'm kinda surprised they didn't hassle you about fishing on those two docks,I've seen them tell young folks no fishing there,glad to see someone enjoying that area,I'm fishing Los Alamitos this afternoon with a very similar light rig.

Cya Tuna Vic