Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snaggers.... I hate them

Default Snaggers.... I hate them

Hello! I have an interesting story about, you guesses it, the idiotic snaggers. Me and my friend decided to head out to Huntington beach pier for a full day of fishing. The day started off pretty good with a bag full of mackeral and a barley short (13-3/4") calico. As the bite slowed, I couldn't help but notice three older men pulling up huge zebra perch, so I walked over to see what was going on. Upon closer inspection, I realized the damn bastards were snagging the spawing perch. In my rage I called out " you better throw it back, youll lose all your S%#t if they catch you snagging". One of the snaggers walked over to me and said "snagging and using bait, its all the same." This really pissed me off. I walked away, and returned to our spot and continued to jig my sabiki rig. I looked over to the snaggers and they were pulling up HUGE zerbra perch left and right, all stuck with a huge trele hook. At this point, my face is firetruck red,because of how angry I was. Without thinking I walked over to the men and almost yellled " you snagg one more and there will be Fish and Game wardens all over you". They're faces turned deep red. I quickly walked away, trying to avoid any possible fight that could have happened. Sure enough the dumb bastards kept snagging 3lb+ perch. Me and my friend picked up our phones and called the fish and game office in Huntington beach. Nobody answered for 4 straight phone calls. Finnaly somebody awnsered and told us that the Wardens would "keep an eye on it". Great. Might as well say "yeah, its not a white sea bass, black sea bass or a lobster, so I really don't care". The moral of the story is: Don't be a dumb ***** and snagg! Tell me what you think about illgeal snaggers.
    -Blake
    Have a great day

In every crowd there are those who feel the rules don't apply to them. Because of lax enforcement, they also feel emboldened to do whatever right out in the open....knowing no one is going to call them out. I salute your willingness to call DFG and shame on them for the lackluster response. It was just what the SNAGGERS counted on.

FYI: Snagging is perfectly legal in saltwater... we may not like it, but legal nonetheless.
    Probably why the DFG didn't respond. But we appreciate you willing to go the extra mile, most people don't...

"Before you play the game, know the rules"

Yup, sorry to say that snagging is legal. Don't have any idea why it is though.

I like that "before you play the game, know the rules" B stik I commend you for your effort. however remember while on HB pier DO NOT OVERHEAD CAST.

Boy do I feel like an idiot.........

cant wait to snag myself a lobster since no dfg is checking

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful Stik View Post
    Boy do I feel like an idiot.........
    Nah. Don't feel dumb. You were pissed at something that shouldn't be allowed but is. Hopefully you made them think a little about not killing every thing you want just because it's legal. I hate snaggers too, but what to do since its legal in the ocean. BTW, you can also have as many lines in the water as you want and they can have as many hooks on those lines as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBasster View Post
    Nah. Don't feel dumb. You were pissed at something that shouldn't be allowed but is. Hopefully you made them think a little about not killing every thing you want just because it's legal. I hate snaggers too, but what to do since its legal in the ocean. BTW, you can also have as many lines in the water as you want and they can have as many hooks on those lines as you want.

Sucks that snagging is perfectly legal in saltwater. Glad that the situation didn't escalate any further because it could have been ugly. Someone could have been seriously injured or maybe killed. A fish isn't worth your life, matter a fact, no fish is worth your life. If these snaggers get to you, then you might want to avoid Newport Pier because there is a regular snagger group there. Think the reason behind why it's legal in saltwater is that the population can recover quickly, that's just my thought though.

As for how unlimited lines in the water, that isn't true. Maybe for Huntington Beach but I don't know. I believe at Newport and Seal Beach, they actually have a sign no more than two rods per person. Is it enforced? Not really because DFW is understaffed and they can't babysit the pier 24/7. They do tend to be at certain piers because of certain species being caught.

Most importantly, try to keep your anger down when you are face with this situation again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuoc Mam View Post
    Sucks that snagging is perfectly legal in saltwater. Glad that the situation didn't escalate any further because it could have been ugly. Someone could have been seriously injured or maybe killed. A fish isn't worth your life, matter a fact, no fish is worth your life. If these snaggers get to you, then you might want to avoid Newport Pier because there is a regular snagger group there. Think the reason behind why it's legal in saltwater is that the population can recover quickly, that's just my thought though.

As for how unlimited lines in the water, that isn't true. Maybe for Huntington Beach but I don't know. I believe at Newport and Seal Beach, they actually have a sign no more than two rods per person. Is it enforced? Not really because DFW is understaffed and they can't babysit the pier 24/7. They do tend to be at certain piers because of certain species being caught.

Most importantly, try to keep your anger down when you are face with this situation again.
    Ah. Now I'm the one who didn't know the rules. You are right. Two rods for piers. I don't pier fish so I never read that rule. No rod limit elsewhere in the California oceans except for certain areas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast