Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need to know what to buy for down rigger

Default need to know what to buy for down rigger

any-one tell me what I need to buy to use a down rigger. I have watched a few videos, and read some posts, but am now a little more confused than before. I am going to buy this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    and probably this ball. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER but don't know about the clips and other stuff. like I said I want to fish with 2 rods. probably fishing for stripers, trout, sac perch. nothing big.
    thanks in advance for advice. gonna buy on amazon prime.

I've used them for salmon and the clips are pretty much the only other thing you need. I don't think flashers are used in F/W but I may be wrong. I know some guys will stack 2 rods on one downrigger but I would recommend starting off with just one rod until you get the hang of it.

I have a Walker clamp-on downrigger...it's all metal, no plastic parts, and it works great. I read reviews on all the clamp-on types before choosing the Walker...one review was from a Canadian guide who uses them on canoes in fly-in lakes. He tried all brands over a 20 year period, and he said the Walker was the only one he's never had to replace...that's music to my ears.

FF,

Over the years I run (2) Cannons right now, a UNI-10 w/8lb ball, and a Lake Troll with 4lb ball both on the Cannon swivel bases. 3 things that have taking a beating over the years for Trout and Stripers and were recommend to me from other FNNers were - 1) Scotty Trolling Snubber, for stacking rods using the SEPS release/Stacker combo, and for Stripers release I like the Off Shore releases(They make different sizes). There are other products but I've been running this gear at DV/Skinner/BB/Perris for years-no issues. IMO the Cannon release is a POS. Good luck on trolling it's addicting when you can get those rigs down near the marks.

http://sepsprofishing.com/cart/catal...acker-3-1.html

http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/Scot...-756p42510.htm

http://www.offshoretackle.com/downriggerreleases.html

i quess you never read my posts.........the double downriggers of death.......i use mine more different ways and better than anybody around..........the cannon clips kick *** vince you have to adjust them .......i use all the time wither its winter time and im running the urigs off braid or in the hotter months with spinning rods and x-raps on the stripers...........CANNON .......downriggers .........this is from the guy who has taught more people d/r use than any other guide ,in these parts..........and dont use the wire cable .......heavy duty braid is better and safer for rookies or pros..........

I tried stacking 2 rods on one DR for a while, unless you're running them at least 10 feet apart and using similar FLOATING lures, don't bother. It's a LOT of cranking to pull everything up if you get hit, and a real frustration WHEN (not IF) they get tangled. Besides, if the fish are holding at one depth, and you figure that out with your FF, why would you run 2 different depths anyway?
    I used 2 Walkers and a Cannon off and on, I liked them both. Really the features become an expensive convenience which you must decide for yourself if you can live with or without them. I always bought my weights from Amazon, can you believe they ship lead balls for free?! Anything less than 8 lbs, especially if you troll over 2MPH will cause much blow back, and your depth will be inaccurate.

I'd just like to repeat TO's recommendation that you ditch the cable. It howls like a banshee as the water rushes around it. I used Dyneema line to replace mine.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    I'd just like to repeat TO's recommendation that you ditch the cable. It howls like a banshee as the water rushes around it. I used Dyneema line to replace mine.

Indeed it does! Especially at 2-3mph. WOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOO

The one positive to this is you can usually tell when you get bit as the frequency of the wailing will change or stop.

...until youre slow trolling a point or big structure hump and get too close and park youre d/r ball into the rocks in big wave windy conditions and youre boat gets spun around,,,in a danger spot you can cut the braid with a knife good luck on the cable .....

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    ...until youre slow trolling a point or big structure hump and get too close and park youre d/r ball into the rocks in big wave windy conditions and youre boat gets spun around,,,in a danger spot you can cut the braid with a knife good luck on the cable .....
    Words of wisdom from the master. If the ball gets stuck, something has to break...the cable, the downrigger, the part of the boat its attached to...Personally, I'd rather lose $30 worth of lead than a chunk of fiberglass, a $200 DR, or something even worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast