Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Stoning - Aug 4

Default Blue Stoning - Aug 4

Be advised that Silverwood posted on their webpage that the lake is going to be closed this Thursday for water conditioning. I have heard that the algae has been thick and this will control it and hopefully bring back water clarity in the near future.

Water clarity actually has improved in some areas and the lake is pretty near full pool, shallower areas are pretty disgusting with algae but weed beds have dropped down making it more fishable from the top, although I'm missing the frog bite on the beds. The treatment that I understand is being used will not be the blue stone but the other treatment (I forget the name) and will be done via helicopter spraying.

Good then its possible weed control or algae killer and yes by Copter

Well add Silverwood to lakes with too much of the toxic algae, supposedly. The DWR thinks that there is too much of the algae, so many parts per million yada yada. They are seriously considering shutting the lake down to water contact due to the algae concerns and placards are going up with warnings. My observations are that I've seen WAY worse conditions in years past than what I'm seeing currently at the lake. Think this might be another DWR move that seems to make little sense but hey boats supposedly will still be allowed and fishing also so the upside might be less insanity for the rest of the summer. I don't know how serious they will be so concerned with possibly no kayaking for a while and water level is so high that wading to fish is a necessity in many areas.

I'll update if I find out more I was just informed yesterday and I don't think they even know all the details yet.

Oh yes please shut it down to no body contact and I will be fishing it immediately. Lake lice are like the plague in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    My observations are that I've seen WAY worse conditions in years past than what I'm seeing currently at the lake.
    Not all blue-green algae are the toxic kind. I've also seen much worse algae mats at Pyramid, entire coves that look like you can just walk across, but I also know they test the water every year, so I presume the previous year's bloom were not toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Not all blue-green algae are the toxic kind. I've also seen much worse algae mats at Pyramid, entire coves that look like you can just walk across, but I also know they test the water every year, so I presume the previous year's bloom were not toxic.
    There is a very unique look to the toxic algae. Now I did talk to someone yesterday that took a couple dives on a jet ski last week and he said he swallowed some water only to wake up the next day with Montezuma's so I'd refrain from drinking the water but I think that would be a "duh" statement.

Also although they test regularly every year it is more than possible based on my discussions that they have changed their rules on what is considered "toxic". Like Devo said it's not necessarily a bad thing, to say the least, when it comes to a fishing perspective but I don't trust the DWR at all and would not put anything past them.

I would not be surprised to see in your/our lifetime all lakes and reservoirs in California to become Lake Mathews....

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    I would not be surprised to see in your/our lifetime all lakes and reservoirs in California to become Lake Mathews....
    That would awful. Can see what you mean though :/. And every creek shutoff like a certain one closed due to frogs.

News update folks:

http://www.pe.com/articles/lake-8098...-elsinore.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast