Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Ballona Creek Jetty Help

Default Ballona Creek Jetty Help

I've seen lots of videos and posts using big hammers to catch fish at the ballona creek jetty. I'm thinking about getting a 2-3" big hammer but kinda skeptical. I've never really caught anything big there, the usual small sargo and bass. I'm thinking about using shrimp lures (had success with cut shrimp on an 1/8 orange jig head) but most of the lures (DOA, Vudu, Z-man, etc.) are used in gulf/Atlantic states. Has anyone tried those? Also, I'm using a light setup, 6'10" telescopic rod, Sougayilang size 3000 reel, with 8 pound fluorocarbon. If none of my ideas sound good (it's ok, I'm a novice and need advice) share your favorite lure for jetty fishing.

Thanks, Me

3" big hammer with a 1/4 up to 1/2 jig head. for the light line go with the 1/4oz unless the current or wind is really strong. Natural baitfish colors work well for halibut, bonito and sandbass (white, silver, blue, green) If you are specifically fishing for Calico bass use brown, orange, red patterns, or even the green with orange belly. don't be afraid to work your lure right in the rocks and weeds for the bass and rockfish. halibut are best with long paralleled casts just outside the rocks weeds or ledges, and cuda and bonito would be best straight out as far as you can cast if they are around.

I recommend a weedless head like a warbaits slayer or phoenix swim head if you are fishing tight to the slop.

For reference I fish these baits on 15lb mono with an Abu Orra inshore on a 7'6" MH swimbait rod. you will land 90% of the fish you hook with your setup but the fish don't seem to line shy and i like the insurance as i have caught some monsters of the rocks(usually at dusk or later)