Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Bear Lake, Silverwood, Irvine Lake and others with Mercury Concerns: LATimes

Quote Originally Posted by JAG107 View Post
    The agencies striving to solve the problem want to increase the abundance of rainbow trout and crappie...
    Shouldn't the agency be figuring out how on earth mercury is even getting INTO the lake to the point that certain fish have heavy metals in them?

And then perhaps figure out how try to prevent that?

Or is that too tree-huggerish a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Shouldn't the agency be figuring out how on earth mercury is even getting INTO the lake to the point that certain fish have heavy metals in them?

And then perhaps figure out how try to prevent that?

Or is that too tree-huggerish a solution?
    The answer to all three questions is: yes.

Problem is, California has a particularly bad mercury problem due to all the mercury mines in the state (up to 2000 or more). And that train has left the station, unless you can go back in time 100 years (to a time where tree-huggers would be shot on sight)

That LA Times article is completely ridiculous, though. I think that real estate guy believes that mercury contamination is *caused* by the LMB, and that getting rid of them will solve the problem.

But as bad as LMB are, stripers are even worse. Looks like the primary reason that the oehha website doesn't call out stripers as much as LMB is that they seemed to have a hard time catching enough of them for a statistically significant sample. But in the few places they did, the numbers were pretty bad. Silverwood stripers had up to 1.3ppm, which is over 1 mg per kg. See those guys carting off 30 stripers or more? That's 30 mg of mercury right there. They might as well pop the top off a thermometer and chug it down.

I'll still eat stripers, but I mostly only keep the smaller schoolies. I also don't feed them to my kids at all.
    Last edited by shinbob; 08-02-2016 at 10:23 AM.

It's not real complicated, start on page 69 and the read the tables from page 70 on. Pity that reporters don't do research anymore and just wing it. SSDD
    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...=117095&inline

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12