Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bear Lake, Silverwood, Irvine Lake and others with Mercury Concerns: LATimes

1. Default Big Bear Lake, Silverwood, Irvine Lake and others with Mercury Concerns: LATimes

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...nap-story.html

"But Mike Sannes, a Big Bear real estate agent, said it may be time to sacrifice that popular type of fishing.

“Mercury advisories would not be good for property values,” he said. “If it came down to it, I wouldn’t rule out getting rid of the bass for the greater good.”"

Who is this joker?

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post

"But Mike Sannes, a Big Bear real estate agent, said it may be time to sacrifice that popular type of fishing.

“Mercury advisories would not be good for property values,” he said. “If it came down to it, I wouldn’t rule out getting rid of the bass for the greater good.”"

Who is this joker?
    Lol because I look to a real estate agent when I want information on fisheries management.

Who is this joker?
    I can't remember the last time I ate green carp.

I would think that a warning would be sufficient; but, "No", the State is considering eradication! Lord Help Us!

Funny.....the real estate guy said, "“If it came down to it, I wouldn’t rule out getting rid of the bass for the greater good.”"
    ". Yeah, right. He means for the good of the real estate market. That is funny because only about 10% of the full time residents up there fish to begin with.

How does Mercury end up in the bass at big bear lake? If that is the case wouldn't all the lakes down the hill have Mercury too? Does it end with only bass or do all other non stocked fish have Mercury in them too? Does this guy have his head between his cheeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Ssortasober View Post
    How does Mercury end up in the bass at big bear lake? If that is the case wouldn't all the lakes down the hill have Mercury too? Does it end with only bass or do all other non stocked fish have Mercury in them too? Does this guy have his head between his cheeks?
    Mercury is cumulative and builds in top level predators. All fish except recently stocked fish will have some mercury in them. Fish that eat other fish will have way more. That's why largemouth and stripped bass are pretty on the states no eat list. The thing is you need top level predators to keep the lake in balance

http://oehha.ca.gov/advisories/state...-site-specific

“Mercury advisories would not be good for property values,” he said. “If it came down to it, I wouldn’t rule out getting rid of the bass for the greater good.”
    Sannes further added,

"The carp? The carp we can keep. The kids love 'em. They bring property values up when you can feed them popcorn off the piers."

LOL.....Who writes this crap?!? And even worse, who decided to publish it?

The mercury levels are to high, so don't let people fish? Get rid of the bass?? WTF?!?!
    How `bout catch and release only on bass?

I feel dumber for reading this article!!

The agencies striving to solve the problem want to increase the abundance of rainbow trout and crappie, which have lower mercury levels because they feed on plants and smaller aquatic organisms. "

Learn something new every day! Maybe Bass Pro should start selling lures that look like aquatic plants to entice even the most finicky of trout to strike. I can see it now, Berkley Gulp! Algae clumps. Now with extra plant scent, creating 18x bites!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast