Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santa Ana River South Fork?

Default Santa Ana River South Fork?

Hi All,
    I've never given this area a shot. Also have not done much stream fishing. Can anyone give me details on where exactlly to park, fish, and which lures or baits to use? I'm going up with my wife and daughter Monday. I'm strictly C&R, in case you don't want someone taking fish out of your spot. You can PM me if you don't want to give away too much.
    Thank you!

I'll throw in a couple of cents...

I found this... South Fork Santa Ana River

It's been 40 years since I fished that area, but back in the day there were spots on Seven Oaks Road where there was room to pull off and park and walk down to the river and I never had a problem. My guess would be the Mill Creek Ranger Station could tell you for sure, or at least point you in the right direction.

I'm also pretty sure that the area is now part of the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument, so I would check that out for applicable regulations. Think fishing license if nothing else.

As for lures and baits, we're talking stocker trout so the usual trout lures and baits are all worth a shot. I've used salmon eggs, kastmasters, panther martins and daredevils with success, but my favorite "secret weapon" for this kind of fishing is the old fly and a bubble trick using something like a black or green woolly worm or an ant imitation. Stream fish are used to terrestrial insects washing in. Do a Google search for "fly and a bubble" and you'll find lots of videos and websites showing how to do it. I would use 2 lb fluorocarbon for the leader, but others may feel differently.

There are lots of ways to work this setup in a stream, but I would be sure to experiment with casting across the stream and then closing the bail and letting the current pull the fly downstream and eventually across the stream back to your side. If this cross stream swing happens to bring the fly through the back end of a likely pool, then you're cooking. Obviously you want to keep a sharp eye on the bubble for hits and it will also let you know if the fly is hung up.

If you're not familiar with how to read a stream, here is a good start: How to Read Trout Fishing Waters

I hope this helps! Be safe and have fun!

There is brown and rainbow trout in the stream. Park by the cabins off the 38 and fish the creek behind them that were they stock the trout. Try trout worms and crappie jigs.

The Santa Ana River has taken a beating over the past few years. Drought has filled in the creek in many places and ruined valuable spawning grounds. The drought has also made the water skinny and temperatures up to 70+ are being recorded on the days when the valleys hit 105 and the canyon seldom falls below 80. Warm water is tough on fish when you play them and try to release them....they're so full of lactic acid that they frequently don't recover. The south fork is very slim water and very, very small wild trout. They have stocked in the area below the highway. Expect to lose a lot of hooks in the debris. Spinners or metal are out of the question with the flows that exist. The creek is just too skinny. They will actually decrease as the temps rise in the afternoon. The stretch of river between Barton Flats and 7 Oaks has a ton of soot from the Lake Fire that has filled in pools and created a toxic stew. Last month, we drove the dirt road and stopped every 1/2 mile the entire way and didn't spook a fish. If you wade, it fills the water with a fine cloud of soot. Are there fish in there, I am sure there are but nothing like it was pre drought and pre fire. Since DFG has quit stocking breeding trout but only the sterile ones, fewer and fewer new fish will be able to replenish the stream. Those that survive will grow but cannot reproduce. If I was you, go to the white bridge on the Lower Control Road at 7 Oaks. Fish downstream for 2 miles.....take you time and plan your casts to avoid the stream side vegetation and you might get lucky. They stock right at the bridge. Good luck and share what you found.

5. Default

Too hot right now for stream trout fishing. Give it a break until the weather cools off. Hit up the salt, folks are killing it out there, no need to push these little trout right now when conditions are least ideal for them surviving catch and release.

Did check out the river, but just walked around and enjoyed nature. Flows are down low to non-existent at certain spots. Wasn't worth my trouble to fish... My wife, daughter, and I had fun walking around.

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    Flows are down low to non-existent at certain spots. Wasn't worth my trouble to fish...
    Sign of the times down here. It seems every summer, we're praying that the wild fish up there don't get wiped out due to the low water, yet they seem to always survive. It's too bad that a few anglers don't know the difference, so they're content in pulling out a 5 fish stringer of 5" fish in an area that needs all the help it can get, without understanding the impact. Stocker fish? Sure, take 'em before the raccoons do. Wild fish? Perhaps, a release?

Well said goodguy. The family had just as much fun and you were doing something together. Maybe in the Fall or next Spring.

DarkShadow....your words have meaning. My problem is that since the 50's when I began recreating in the San Bernardino, I have no memory of the past ten years of drought.

There's fellow that has been guiding fly fishermen into the locals and continually posts pictures of him catching 17" (maybe 10 ") wild Southern California Browns. Charges something like $500 a day and seems like he is still fishing it as we speak. On the web post, he claims the water is just fine at his secret spots. Also is selling videos he on our locals made on how to catch more fish. Thinking he's running under the radar as the USFS is very strict on permits for things done for profit on the Forest like commercials, stables, commercial wood cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    There's fellow that has been guiding fly fishermen into the locals and continually posts pictures of him catching 17" (maybe 10 ") wild Southern California Browns. Charges something like $500 a day and seems like he is still fishing it as we speak. On the web post, he claims the water is just fine at his secret spots. Also is selling videos he on our locals made on how to catch more fish. Thinking he's running under the radar as the USFS is very strict on permits for things done for profit on the Forest like commercials, stables, commercial wood cutting.
    He fishes the same waters as I do, and he is on point when he mentions that the water is fine at his secret spots and I have caught some pretty decent sized fish in what are skinny waters around that stretch. It does require strapping up the hiking boots and dodging snakes, but they are still there.

There are so many natural springs in that area that you need to know where you are in order to find them. 100 yard down or up and you may not even see a stream. And these springs come out COLD. I've seen waterfalls in September during a low snow pack.

Regardless, I hope he does keep a tight lip on things. It's hard when its a source of income.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Well said goodguy. The family had just as much fun and you were doing something together. Maybe in the Fall or next Spring.

DarkShadow....your words have meaning. My problem is that since the 50's when I began recreating in the San Bernardino, I have no memory of the past ten years of drought.

Yeah, thanks! We had an amazing day up on the mountain yesterday. With my daughter just turning 15, we'll have less an less days like this as time goes on. We started at forest falls for hiking which we always love... Then hit Jenks for lunch and shore fishing. The summer weeds are tough to deal with from shore, so we caught 5-6 small bass and bluegill. Then hit up a few spots on the river for some rock throwing and hiking. Once I saw the flows I didn't even take my rod out of the car. I'm sure if we worked for it I could've found SOMETHING. But we were having too much fun just messing around in beautiful surroundings. Finished the day off at Big Bear.... Our spot we normally fish at was empty so we hung there in the sun messing around in the water etc. I threw out some lines and caught 2 tiny sculpin. Didn't really fish hard at either lake. Just some bait and wait, mostly spent the day with my ladies goofing around and having fun. The little fish were just a bonus! Especially since all our fishing occured mid day and with it being so warm lately wasn't expecting much as far as catching.
    Last edited by goodguy; 08-02-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast