Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: First time fishing PVR/Bishop, info appreciated

Default First time fishing PVR/Bishop, info appreciated

it's been a while since I've done some eastern sierra fishing, so I've decided to camp a few days at PVR campground. I'm unfamiliar with this area and was thinking about fishing a day at PVR and below the Dam and another day around bishop. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I know there are lots of restrictions regarding the lower owens so I guess I need to do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by verbalhologram View Post
    it's been a while since I've done some eastern sierra fishing, so I've decided to camp a few days at PVR campground. I'm unfamiliar with this area and was thinking about fishing a day at PVR and below the Dam and another day around bishop. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I know there are lots of restrictions regarding the lower owens so I guess I need to do some research.
    PVR campground has virtually no shade, so prepare for brutal heat and sunshine. I'd drive up the hill and camp at one of the campgrounds along Rock Creek, to get out of the valley heat and perhaps find a shady site. You can fish PVR, the Lower Owens, Rock Creek, and even the Upper Owens and Crowley from there. I camp at PVR during spring break, and it's pretty brutal in April. I can only imagine what late July is like.

Why not camp at Rock Creek and hike up the Little Lakes Valley? Easy hike and spectacular scenery, with brook trout in the creek between the four or five lakes you can easily make a daytrip to.

Only major restriction on the LO is from the footbridge at the end of the campground down to Five Bridges, which is C&R only and BARBLESS single hooks!!! Getting a ticket can be $500, so be careful where you are!

Or, you can head up Bishop Canyon, there's several campgrounds, lakes, and creeks in the area. Probably cooler at altitude.

John
    Last edited by John Harper; 07-25-2016 at 11:42 AM.

What he said and if you choose to fish in the PVR area, there are seasonal restrictions to not only barbless, single hooks but no bait (signs are posted but not everywhere you might see them). As JH stated, Bishop along the river is brutal this time of year with little relief. The high country he mentioned is full of fish....25 degrees cooler and has fish and trees. That section you mentioned is a fall, winter and early spring fishery for me.

What those two guys said.

Bishop this time of year can be brutal, one of those wake up at 5 am and fish to 8 and then do nothing from 8 am to 6 pm.

I'd make my way up vertically, and in the area, that should be easy to do. The Mosquito Flats area makes for a scenic hike with suicidal Brooks eating anything that lands in front of them. The sizes may not be great, but the scenery and the gingerly hike makes it a great destination.

Also, if you don't mind leaving the rods at home, taking a day trip to visit the world's oldest trees in the White Mountains is also a nice side trip.

thanks everyone for the info, I did good at bishop creek and above rock creek lake. I was going to camp at PVR but the mosquitoes were insane, I ended up sleeping in my car lol. It would be 105 in bishop and then rain and thunderstorms in the 50s up at south lake. Had a blast and fished in the rain for a while and did pretty well. Hopefully I'll get back up there in a few weeks.