Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Launching around So Cal

Default Kayak Launching around So Cal

Hello,

I have a fishing kayak that has yet to be used. I tend to fish Cachuma or Casitas due to my location. Casitas is a no-go for a kayaker, unless you want to pay to store it there and use it there exclusively. Cachuma has a kayak friendly inspection process, but due to low water level, launching a kayak is problematic unless you have someone with you. There's treacherous, uneven dirt you have to walk through (dolly won't work there) to get to what is now the kayak launch. So that's not an option if I'm fishing by myself.

It's been a couple years since I've been around the Castaic lagoon, but that struck me as a kayak friendly. While I plan to fish from the kayak, I'm really most interested in getting out of the water with it. If the fish don't bite, I'm okay with that. Any recent observations in launching in the lagoon? I am a female and I will be by myself. I have good upper body strength but would need a situation where I have a nice flat, ideally paved area where I can pretty much back my truck up and just have to move the yak a few feet.

What about launching at Pyramid or Lake Isabella? I know those can also be good Yak spots, but given my circumstance, my biggest practical issue is getting the thing launched with out a hassle.

I don't know if its too far for you to drive but Perris is very yak friendly. You can back right up to the lake and park in Sailcove which is at the north end of the dam.

I've launched my canoe in the lagoon a few times...make sure your kayak is clean and dry or you won't pass the inspection...you can roll your kayak on pavement all the way to the launch ramp.

Have you considered upgrading your kayak cart to one with balloon tires? It would open up more options to launch from when a flat paved path to the water isn't available.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Fisherman View Post
    Have you considered upgrading your kayak cart to one with balloon tires? It would open up more options to launch from when a flat paved path to the water isn't available.
    I bought one with those kinds of tires. But, if it's a rocky and uneven area you can have trouble with the kayak staying on, no matter how well you strap it.

Post your questions and concerns on FTFF.
    Float Tube Fishing Forum

Good luck

SP Dan <"))><

I have the Wheeleez kayak cart beach - PN WZ1-KCB. It was expensive and well worth the investment. I've dragged my kayak up/down stairs, through soft sand & shoe-stealing mud, dirt trails through the brush w/ tree roots & watermelon sized rocks. If I'm planning to go through anything bumpy, I'll usually attach an extra strap so the cart doesn't slip out when I push/pull the kayak.

Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfisherlady View Post
    Hello,

I have a fishing kayak that has yet to be used. I tend to fish Cachuma or Casitas due to my location. Casitas is a no-go for a kayaker, unless you want to pay to store it there and use it there exclusively. Cachuma has a kayak friendly inspection process, but due to low water level, launching a kayak is problematic unless you have someone with you. There's treacherous, uneven dirt you have to walk through (dolly won't work there) to get to what is now the kayak launch. So that's not an option if I'm fishing by myself.

It's been a couple years since I've been around the Castaic lagoon, but that struck me as a kayak friendly. While I plan to fish from the kayak, I'm really most interested in getting out of the water with it. If the fish don't bite, I'm okay with that. Any recent observations in launching in the lagoon? I am a female and I will be by myself. I have good upper body strength but would need a situation where I have a nice flat, ideally paved area where I can pretty much back my truck up and just have to move the yak a few feet.

What about launching at Pyramid or Lake Isabella? I know those can also be good Yak spots, but given my circumstance, my biggest practical issue is getting the thing launched with out a hassle.
    That's a funny story cause I am in the same situation. I bought my kayak last summer and never had it off the garage wall since. After working out of state all summer I am hoping to go when I get home. What about san pedro? You can drive right up to the water and fish the harbor. Did you get out yet? I would like to meet up with some fellow yakers for my first trip.

Isabella has a number of spots where you can drive and park right next to the water over on the Camp Nine side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast