Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Newport Harbor and Corona Del mar 7-20

Default Newport Harbor and Corona Del mar 7-20

Last 3 weeks I hit up Newport Harbor and the area just outside the harbor on the kayak. A few weeks ago it was slow and the fish finder showed not much going on. Haven't got a halibut in the usual spot for over 2 months fishing it at various tides and conditions. Got a few bass here and there but the place was mostly desolate. Water a couple weeks ago dove down to 66.7 right outside the harbor mouth and not much warmer inside. Got some big Bass up to 3 pounds outside the harbor but you had to work hard at it to produce. Not expecting much I went out again this week. Yesterdays outing look promising the second I launched at 5:30 in the morning as the fish finder was lit up from the get go. Bait was everywhere and fish marks from the bottom up to mid column. Didn't bother with the bass and went to the usual halibut spot to check to see if it was holding. Bait was everywhere and some balled up pretty thick. Started out throwing the Jackal Squad Minnow 115 in ghost SG Threadfin color (looks like a Smelt). I was in 3-6 feet of water. A few cast into it I get a subtle bite that turns heavy when it was straight up and down. A couple minutes later it's a 23 incher. Toss him back. I notice boils in the area so I work it hard. Looks like the Halibut are actively swimming around and up to the surface. Second fish was a 21.5 or possibly legal but it didn't matter since it was going back. It measure legal with the mouth open but that doesn't fly for the CDFW if you get caught. Always measure with the mouth shut. Got a third at 18 inches then a 16 incher. Saw a nice boil only 20 feet away so threw beyond it and came through the area. The bait gets slammed and it's heavy. Felt like forever to get him up as it ripped drag and stayed down. It was probably less than 5 minutes of fighting em but felt like forever. Finally get him to come up and it's completely vertical with its mouth wide open and the lure barely attached. Looked like an upper 20's inch Halibut. As I reach for it with the Boga Grip it violently head shakes one last time splashing a ton of water directly in my face drenching me and simultaneously spitting the hook. I couldn't help but laugh for awhile. The paddle boarder watching me laughs as well. I probably could have caught a few more but this guy was doing circles in one of the prime spots I usually get em at. Hit one more spot across the harbor but the sun is now up and the area is only holding small bass. Hit up the bait barge and picked away at 6 to 10 inch bass on the 3 inch rainbow trout colored grubs for 45 minutes. Got all 3 species. Barred, Spotted and Calico. Maybe 15 or so fish. Sea Lions left me alone for some reason. I was thinking of calling it a day but decided to look for bigger fish. Took off outside the harbor for a possible Yellowtail in the rocky area. Switched over to the Lucky Craft Flash Pointer 110 in Chrome and Brown back color with Bass hooks on it. Fished the rocks from Big Corona to Little Corona and it was on with all big Bass. Some fish were high up in the water column and away from any structure eating the schools of bait that were everywhere. Probably got 15-18 large Calicos with only 3 being undersized. Most were 2-3 pound and some up to 4 pounds. These fish pull hard! And they slam the lure violently when they hit which is the most exciting part about fishing for Calicos with straight braided line to a short leader. You feel every bit of the power especially when they hit. If yer not paying attention it could pull the rod right out of your hands since there is no stretch and full drag. The line I used was 30 pound Kanzen and 30 Pound Flouro Premier leader with the drag ratcheted down on my Diawa Procyon 2000 Spinning reel. I use the spinning set-up and 10 foot rod to get more casting distance and thus stay as far from the rocks as possible. Learned my lesson last week when a 3+ pound Calico took my $15 Squad Minnow lure into a rock and I was dangerously close to getting washed ashore. Ripped him out but it almost cost me the fish and the lure so now I only fish for Calicos with the drag maxed out and a long rod. Yesterdays waves were pretty big near the boiler rocks so you had to cast to the shore and look towards the horizon for big set waves to avoid getting caught inside which would be a disaster. Worked my way south to the area of Little Corona when the lure gets slammed on the retrieve. This one is still pulled drag even after having it buttoned down and my Kayak was getting pulled to shore towards the fish and the waves. I had to fight the fish and immediately turn the kayak and barely managed to escape the waves and not lose the fish or get caught inside. Landed em and it goes around 5.8 to 6 on the Boga Grip scale. Definitely my personal best Calico. Cant believe the fish didn't straighten out any of the Bass hooks. Called it a day after that since it wasn't going to get any better. Just want to warn anyone trying to fish the boiler rocks, BE CAREFUL!!! I fished on the smallest day of the week and it was still pretty crazy. Check the surf report and forecast and never turn your back on the waves. Yellowtail were a long shot where I was fishing but heard there were a few at spot 1 and spot 2 further south at Crystal Cove. Maybe I'll travel there next time. I'll update in a few weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010003.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	48751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010004.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	48752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010006.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	48753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010007.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	48754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010011.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	48755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010012.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	48756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010015.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	48757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010016.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	48758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010018.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	48759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010027.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	48760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010031.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	48761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010040.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	48762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010044.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	48763

Looks like you had a full day. Did you launch from the coast guard station?

Launched at Kid Beach near M street on the peninsula side.....a pretty good place to launch if you have a Kayak since it is the closest to the harbor mouth.

Excellent report Sir! Great pic's!

Thanx,

SP Dan <"))><

Nice fish. Thanks for the nice photos and report.

Nice report and great pictures, thanks for posting..................V

Thumbs up

Nice session George, excellent report!