Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Waaaaay Late Oregon Coast Report.

Default Waaaaay Late Oregon Coast Report.

actually did some fishing a while back. first time in a long time.

got together with my family at the end of June in Seaside OR. It's all beautiful and stuff up there... and the fishing wasn't too bad given the conditions.

Beach in that area long and gradual with good structure interspersed. LOTS of bait in the form of sand crabs, sculpin (the real ones) and a variety of worms and clams. Legal-sized dunegness patrolled the shallows. Locals were suited up in neoprene waders and parkas, fishing 10' rods, 3oz pyramids waaaaaaaaaay out there. I smiled knowingly, knowing nothing...

Threw on a pair of board shorts and headed out to show my little bro how we do it in Cali. High tide was right around 1pm and bite was a slow pick but they perch were there, in close where I'd predicted. C-rig 3" crack did the trick of course. What I hadn't predicted is was the how rapid hypothermia can set in when you're a dumarse from LA standing in freezing water up to your thighs.

Left the water when shivering got so bad I couldn't bait up.

All redtails, nothing extra ordinary, but a first for me. hey seem a little deeper bodied than barred. Have'ta bet back up there during the spawn and have another wack at 'em.

Later took my niece and nephew (4 and 3 respectively) fishing in the Necanicum estuary. Broke out the crack again and caught staghorn sculpin and shiner perch hand-over-fist. (No pics because my brother is a crusty old curmudgeon who refuses to put images on the "innernet".

good times

Quality ocean bluegill, CD!

Also, nice cap.

Nice report Tim! I'm actually supposed to be heading up to Oregon next year so I'll probably have to remember to pack the neoprene. Just a bit colder than Maui up there.

Don

Cool looking redtail...thanks for sharing it!

Nice Perch! How was the water temperature there?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    Nice Perch! How was the water temperature there?
    cripplingly cold. but, man, what good structure!