Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A charge for Quagga Mussel inspections?

Default A charge for Quagga Mussel inspections?

I just read that Diamond Valley is charging $3.00 for the vessel inspection of mussels. What!? This is something new to me. Are they doing this at Perris? Will they charge float tubers this also?

There is an added fee to our boat registration for mussels now, so are we paying twice for the same thing?

There is a $3 charge for all boaters wanting a boat inspection band upon leaving DVL. DVL accepts boat bands for entrance without inspection from Lake Perris and Silverwood. No band on your boat and it must pass inspection the same as other lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    There is a $3 charge for all boaters wanting a boat inspection band upon leaving DVL. DVL accepts boat bands for entrance without inspection from Lake Perris and Silverwood. No band on your boat and it must pass inspection the same as other lakes.
    Correct. The mgmt at DVL has decided to charge us $3 to make their job easier for the next time you visit. Should you refuse the $3 fee, they have to work harder inspecting your boat next time instead of simply clipping off your tag and sending you on your way.

Just to be clear...DVL charges $3.00 if you want a reentry seal on you boat after pulling off the water. I have never been charged to have my boat inspected at DVL before launching. The $3.00 charge is required if you want the reentry tag applied to your boat when leaving.
    Last edited by BassinPLS; 07-18-2016 at 08:14 AM.

If DVL wanted to reflect their lake operating cost they would charge boats without a re-enter tag, and not charge for boats they do not need to spend time inspecting.

Quote Originally Posted by eah View Post
    If DVL wanted to reflect their lake operating cost they would charge boats without a re-enter tag, and not charge for boats they do not need to spend time inspecting.
    Common sense isn't very common today.

The $3 is charged by the marina to recoup the cost of the band affixed to the vessel upon leaving the lake. If/when the boat returns to the lake with the tag still in place, the tag is cut and entry/launching is guaranteed without an inspection being necessary. Think of it as a convenience fee that will allow a boat to be launched without inspection at either DVL, Perris or Silverwood. The MOU between MWD, DWR and State Parks was drafted and signed to make things easier on the boaters who enjoyed frequenting all three quagga free lakes without having to go through inspections every time they went to a new water.

The Quagga fee charged to all boaters in CA is collected by the DMV through registration fees. The money collected goes into an account earmarked for competitive grants to access the money to help pay for invasive species prevention. It could be for decontamination units, inspections, bands, whatever an entity wishes to use the money to help prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species in CA. The marina at DVL has been paying for their bands out of pocket and not from grant money collected by the DMV, so no you are not being charged twice.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    The Quagga fee charged to all boaters in CA is collected by the DMV through registration fees. The money collected goes into an account earmarked for competitive grants to access the money to help pay for invasive species prevention. It could be for decontamination units, inspections, bands, whatever an entity wishes to use the money to help prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species in CA. The marina at DVL has been paying for their bands out of pocket and not from grant money collected by the DMV, so no you are not being charged twice.
    Since I do pay into the fund via a new registration fee for invasive species and that money is earmarked for decontamination units, inspections, bands, by the grant process and DVL is not using that grant process but instead billing me for a band,, how am I not being billed twice?

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    The $3 is charged by the marina to recoup the cost of the band affixed to the vessel upon leaving the lake. If/when the boat returns to the lake with the tag still in place, the tag is cut and entry/launching is guaranteed without an inspection being necessary. Think of it as a convenience fee that will allow a boat to be launched without inspection at either DVL, Perris or Silverwood. The MOU between MWD, DWR and State Parks was drafted and signed to make things easier on the boaters who enjoyed frequenting all three quagga free lakes without having to go through inspections every time they went to a new water.

The bands they use are freakin paper. I'm sure they don't cost more than a few cents. I mean damn with the boat launching fee, the entry fee, the fee to fish and the tag -- it costs me and the boys $42 to fish! And right now with the bite the way it is, I'm not sure it's worth it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast