Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A charge for Quagga Mussel inspections?

I understand having issues with the vendor at DVL, I am not a fan, they have done a number on Lake Gregory also with little in return, at least from a fishing perspective. But at least you got an answer and that answer makes sense. DVL concessions management gets no "tax" dollars and they are a for profit business, your choice to pay or not but this time you are not being charged twice, you are getting charged for everything though, I imagine at some point the bathrooms will have a fee to use, not a far fetched possibility when you consider their track record.

Good replies for DVL, but no one answered my original question of.. "Are they doing this at Perris? Will they charge float tubers this also?"… Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Good replies for DVL, but no one answered my original question of.. "Are they doing this at Perris? Will they charge float tubers this also?"… Does anyone know?
    I think the difference is state park vs. private concessionaire. Not saying they never will but DVL is an entirely different monster than say Perris, Silverwood etc...

Thanks seal, I kind of thought the same thing.. Hopefully they won't mess with us tubers.. But they do inspect at the entrance gates if they see a 'tube in the back of a truck..

Quote Originally Posted by MillsapBoyz View Post
    The bands they use are freakin paper. I'm sure they don't cost more than a few cents.
    Sure the tags are cheap, but what about the labor to staff the tagging station? At Pyramid they have two people manning the tagging booth, even if they make minimum wage for 8 hours, that's $160 per day. Thankfully they don't charge there, but if they did charge $3 per tag, I think they'd barely break even.

Quote Originally Posted by MillsapBoyz View Post
    The bands they use are freakin paper. I'm sure they don't cost more than a few cents. I mean damn with the boat launching fee, the entry fee, the fee to fish and the tag -- it costs me and the boys $42 to fish! And right now with the bite the way it is, I'm not sure it's worth it!
    MillsapBoyz,

I agree, the parking, launch and fishing permit and reentry fees have gotten totally out of hand at DVL. The most expensive lake to launch at and fish in CA to my knowledge and as you say the fishing is pretty poor lately. IMHO it is time to call BS on the fee structure.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    MillsapBoyz,

I agree, the parking, launch and fishing permit and reentry fees have gotten totally out of hand at DVL. The most expensive lake to launch at and fish in CA to my knowledge and as you say the fishing is pretty poor lately. IMHO it is time to call BS on the fee structure.
    Don't forget how we're supposed to be thankful that we're able to fish DVL at all, since they're a water storage facility first and an anglers paradise second. Our options are becoming very limited out here in the IE. And they're not going to get any better. So suck up the $42 fee, and be thankful they're not charging that $15 quagga fee each time at the gate. And god forbid you throw a rope over the I/O cable, then there'll be more fees to pay. All this crap made selling my boat this year that much easier. The only thing missing at DVL gate is the "fee" fee.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    MillsapBoyz,

They are a private business who must meet payroll. They must pay payroll taxes, liability insurance, workers compensation insurance and they also must pay their lease payments to MWD. And that's not including maintenance and fuel costs for their rental fleet and service vessels. You cannot compare DVL's operation to Perris because Perris's operations costs are covered by the state. Remember, this is Cali and the costs of doing private business here is freaking insane. As for the fishing at DVL it's actually been pretty damn good. I had a trifecta the last time I was out all caught on reaction baits, on top of an LMB double limit . The lake has risen so much so fast there is structure and solid vegetation all over the lake and the fish are from 0-50ft deep. Due to the quickly rising water and the currents created by it, there is no thermocline limiting the depth of where the fish can go. Burning cranks and blades have been my go to baits as of late unless I'm on deep structure then I throw jigs and t-rigs. Some guys are using big worms with good success where the bottom structure permits. Add the fact that there is an unbelievable amount of fry and baitfish. Everywhere you cast bazillions of fry are flying out of the water fleeing your bait all the way back to the boat. With all this new structure and all that fry with cover all over the lake DVL will go off big in a few years but the fishing is good now, you just gotta work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    They are a private business who must meet payroll. They must pay payroll taxes, liability insurance, workers compensation insurance and they also must pay their lease payments to MWD. And that's not including maintenance and fuel costs for their rental fleet and service vessels. You cannot compare DVL's operation to Perris because Perris's operations costs are covered by the state. Remember, this is Cali and the costs of doing private business here is freaking insane. As for the fishing at DVL it's actually been pretty damn good. I had a trifecta the last time I was out all caught on reaction baits, on top of an LMB double limit . The lake has risen so much so fast there is structure and solid vegetation all over the lake and the fish are from 0-50ft deep. Due to the quickly rising water and the currents created by it, there is no thermocline limiting the depth of where the fish can go. Burning cranks and blades have been my go to baits as of late unless I'm on deep structure then I throw jigs and t-rigs. Some guys are using big worms with good success where the bottom structure permits. Add the fact that there is an unbelievable amount of fry and baitfish. Everywhere you cast bazillions of fry are flying out of the water fleeing your bait all the way back to the boat. With all this new structure and all that fry with cover all over the lake DVL will go off big in a few years but the fishing is good now, you just gotta work for it.
    Hawgz this management company is infamous for fees and although I understand very well profit and loss this company has a monopoly basically and is greedy beyond what is acceptable, in my opinion. What they have done to Gregory sucks. I know quite a bit about how they are managing the fishery and also how they are maintaining the facility there. Although I am primarily a Silverwood guy I have made the trek to DVL and have noticed a similar situation. Fees are out of control and they do not spend much on the facility, to say the least. Now I know they don't own the property or the buildings but to justify the fees with the facilities being offered just shows what they are all about. Gregory has been turned into Disneyland on the water instead of the quiet little trout lake it once was. I am simply not a fan of them to say the least!!!!
    Last edited by seal; 07-22-2016 at 07:34 AM.

Another way to look at DVL is that whole lake, including "Fishing and Hiking" is the profit center. From an accounting view point, separating "Fishing and Hiking" into its own / stand alone profit center justifies the high fees. But, if you throw fishing and hiking staff expense into the water cost, then I suspect the cost to deliver the average gallon of water would go up no more an a few thousands of a cent, possibly far less.

Further such an approach would actually distribute the cost to have DVL water storage to all water users. As I remember the approval to build the lake was inclusive of the "planned" recreational uses. Arguable that made recreation, especially fishing, an incidental and attendant cost of the decision to store water at Hemet Valley. Therefore, fishing activities (and I would argue hiking because a perimeter road would be necessary) are by definition and contractual agreement, an included cost of water.

It might be said, that eliminating the fishing fees could result in the fish stocks being neglected, however, going back the lake construction approval, the Water District would not be allowed to do so. The Water District knew what it was getting into to build DVL, they should be required to keep their contractual obligations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast