Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: BLUEFIN on Ocean Odyssey!! Fished 7/9/16

Default BLUEFIN on Ocean Odyssey!! Fished 7/9/16

Hey FNN!
    Quick report:

Planned this trip that was on 7/8/16 as soon as they posted there schedule. Last year did this trip and punched out limits of everything first boat to fish south for the year.

Pre OP:
    Got all the gear ready been waiting to get out there and fish. Had gone three to four times this year chasing this big bluefin that is off our coast. Early in the season got one with my buddy Frankie down at colonet. As the trip got closer the days got longer work seemed to never end. My buddy Mario and my self had been watching the counts the bluefin bite slowed down and the offshore down south had been iffy at best.
    Well Friday came and I drove down and picked Mario up. We made our way down to SD got there around 5pm. Captain Rick was walking through the parking lot and asked him when we were loading up he said now and that there is already a bunch of people on the boat...

OPERATION RENTAL PARTY:
    As Mario and I made our way down to the boat after Rick said there was a bunch of people on already something looked weird. As we approached the boat I saw there were no rods in the holders and 2 tackle bags on the storage top. I thought Rick at this point was bullshitten me to get us on the boat already. But as we say wats up to the crew on the deck and make our way into the cabin there's like twenty people inside. Our friend John and his buddy EJ were already on the boat and that was there two bags on top with there rods on the other side of the boat. Well the other twenty people were all 1st or 2nd time fishing on the salt. All rental rods ready to have some fun. It was a trip because it was like we had a private charter for ourselves with all the room on deck we wanted.

We loaded bait and hooked up some calico and mackerel while waiting. At this point we decided let's go chase these monsters in hopes of getting one. We were out and going nice 4-5 inch sardine with some medium Chovy mixed in. We set alarms for 4-5am in expected to fish then.

Little bit of chop on the way up and when we stopped you could feel it pretty good. Woke up around 5:15am to the smell of breakfast being started. We got on the move around 6am and got on our first spot of fish. First guy hooks up on the rental rod, EJ was next with this other guy dave. After about two hours all three fish hit the deck averaged around 65 pounds. The rental rod guy lasted about 10min on his fish after passing to desi the deckhand to fight it for the next 45min. EJ killed his in about 25'min and Dave spent around a hour in his fish before killing it. Three fish on the deck first stop not bad all quality. Over the next 5 hours we made multiple stops with the fish not wanting to stop. Finally the fish stop again and Dave is on again! This time on 50 but still gets worked over the next hour for another 65 pounds. About have way through he passed it to Adam the deck hand and myself then he finished it off. At this point we decided on going and looking for kelps. Over the next 4-5 hours we looked at 10-12 different kelps with no love at all. Then we made our way back to the grounds were fish were popping up. We made a stop where this guy Alex got one at around 65 pounds and passed it again to desi to finish off after about 15 min of fighting it and one other guy gets one at around 60 pounds.

At this its 7pm Mario, John, and I are blanked across the board. We searched in hopes of getting the fish to go again we made a stop at 8pm. And again the same rental rod guy and Alex hook up again. This time the rental rod guy got his in about 15min it was a 30 pounder and Alex broke off after about 30min.

John and Mario had accepted the loss but I still fished the dark there was no luck in sight. We were in a dead drift just going everyone had pretty much cleared the deck and went to eat. All the sudden captain Rick says "guys there all the way around under the boat" Mario comes running out drops the flat fall and instantly hooks up.
    I reel in my bait grab my flat fall drop it down and bam I'm on. Alex drops down hooks up and breaks off: EJ drops down and hooks up also.
    I'm so stoked at this point and then all the sudden after 15 min hook pops.....
    I'm pissed and drop down over and over again for the next ten min John hooks up and finally again I'm on. After about 25'min and a couple tangles with John my fish hits the deck at 9:30pm. A solid 75-80 pound fish.

The bite was done we landed four fish on dark drift all on flat falls all averaging 70-80. We hooked 9 fish all together on that drift.
    Was pretty cool the last four fish was all brought up by our little group of 4.

Overall this trip was a blast lots of fun the rental guys learned a lot and worked really well when people hooked up. Only 1-2 people got sick on the trip. These fish are definitely starting to come around and it's a good time to head out.
    I threw everything at them from the surface iron, poppers, flat falls, Colt snipers and a sink also.
    Thank you everyone for reading!!

nice pics....

cm

Heck yea! Captain Rick is the best. Can't wait for my trip coming soon on the OO....

Nice job Blake.

Great report! Makes me want to do one of those trips.

Great trip for you guy's and look at those awesome fish.
    ? What weight were the flat fall jigs and what colors? I will purchase some for my coming up trip.
    Your report is a neat read and great pictures, Thank you.