Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Big Bear 7/8/2016

Default Big Bear 7/8/2016

Got up to Big Bear lake for the second time in my life but this time I was feeling a little more confident than I did 2 weeks ago. I launched from the West Launch at about 6:20 headed west towards the dam when that water got around 25 foot deep I threw out a F-5 Perch Rapala and a worm at 2 colors. Just a couple minutes later the Rapala got hit and I caught the first of what would be a really good day. The fish was full tailed 18 inch couple pounder. So I proceeded to work down to the dam were everyone else was and didn’t get a bite so I headed back to the area where I had caught the fish which was right out in front of North Shore Landing in 27 foot of water. By this time, I had switched to 2 leadcore rods on at 2 and the other at 3 colors. Over the next 4 hours, I picked up 5 more fish all cookie cutter of the first one I caught. I worked the area from the West Launch monitoring bouy to North Shore Landing and I was perrty much alone, that is fisherman wise. The boats and jet skis made it a bit challenging. I did not catch another fish after 11 am. Anyway, it was a good trip and I will be going back. I was able to release 5 of the fish but one was gut hooked and died in the livewell. That is the only reason I hate using worms.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	48724

Great report. Wish I were there.

I found size 8, 10, and 12 circle hooks at Barlow Tackle Center. Even have bait holder barbs.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Eagle-C...ook-P2588.aspx

I admit i have not tried these yet, but I firmly believe they will eliminate the trout swallowing worms and allow release. I plan on using them with mousetails and those chunk/nibbles Berkley baits.

Now THAT is a successful day on the Bear! Sure is amazing that one can catch such beautiful holdovers, all while dodging lake lice.

Awesome Pwyn glad you had a good day.

Nice Job Thanks For Sharing.