Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Mammoth Lake Report 1000 Island Lake Trip

Default Mammoth Lake Report 1000 Island Lake Trip

Hey Guys,

This week I fished Twin Lakes, Lake Mary and Lake George from the shore. There are fish present and will come up to bite but it's almost like they are overfed because as soon as they come up they turn right back around. Shore fishing has been tough because of the wind as well.

I also fished 1000 island lake which is an 8 mile for 30 minutes and caught two fish before having to head back because my mom wasn't feeling well. Caught a little brown and a nice rainbow. Overall had a great time with the scenery but fishing has been subpar.

Here's a video link from the trip with some fishing: https://youtu.be/PK2Uco--bR8

Going to try the June lake loop for fishing tonight.

Thanks,

Michael Hauser

Wow. That is what i call a long hike. How far did you walk? How far does the road go up towards there? Beautiful area. Thanks for sharing.

Never mind 8 miles lol I got caught up in the video and google earth. Thanks

The round trip ended up being about 18 miles round trip. The climb was about 3,000 feet. You start from the Agnew meadows campground and we took the river trail up which is more scenic and the pacific crest trail which is on the ridge line on the way back. Well worth the hike. Fishing was pretty good as well.

Whoa....18 miles round trip with a 3,000 ft elevation gain is not for lightweights. A pretty good hike for someone in amazing shape. Sounds like a nice 3 day trip.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 805AnglingBrothers View Post
    Hey Guys,

This week I fished Twin Lakes, Lake Mary and Lake George from the shore. There are fish present and will come up to bite but it's almost like they are overfed because as soon as they come up they turn right back around. Shore fishing has been tough because of the wind as well.

I also fished 1000 island lake which is an 8 mile for 30 minutes and caught two fish before having to head back because my mom wasn't feeling well. Caught a little brown and a nice rainbow. Overall had a great time with the scenery but fishing has been subpar.

Here's a video link from the trip with some fishing: https://youtu.be/PK2Uco--bR8

Going to try the June lake loop for fishing tonight.

Thanks,

Michael Hauser
    Nice report, good video. Beautiful country up there. Congrats on the hike too, that's a good workout to say the least.
    Hold that phone horizontal, not vertical next time :)

Hike was pretty special! My family is a bunch of college athletes so we decided to make it a day hike. Lol

And I will make sure that my GoPro is charged up for the next trip to avoid the phone videos.

805AnglingBrothers,

What a great video! Thank you very much for sharing. It brings back such fond memories! I love the High Sierras...simply God's Country! You have a great looking family!

What a great trip, thanks for posting the vid. Looks absolutely amazing!
    If you want a real good backcountry fishing hike, try the Whitney trail, fork off to the mountaineering route, and hike to Lower and Upper Boy scout lakes. 4000' gain in a few miles for some wild goldens.

Bassin Pls
    It was a special day. Thanks for watching the video! I appreciate your compliment and comment.

JAG107
    Wow thanks for the information. What did you use at those lakes? Maybe I'll have to adventure up there