Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing Mammoth with Kids

Twin lakes as well. Mammoth has lots of bears and they are attracted to any food source. Funny to be in a float tube in front of the waterfall and watching the fishermen scatter as Mama and Cubs feeds on the stringered fish.
    Last edited by Viejo; 07-14-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Not isolated at all, saw a big one by lee vining patrolling the edge of the river I was fishing. No stringer that day all catch n release, she can have that spot I was outta there quick

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I tried fishing Mary Lake and Lake George with my kids and our spinning rods and it was a disaster of losing lures, etc..

So I gave up on that and decided to stick to the top of the water with dry flies, taking my fly rod up to the lakes we hiked to: Heart Lake, Arrowhead Lake, Skelton Lake, and Box Lake. It was pretty easy to spot the fish and they liked my very ordinary adams flies. I caught about 25, mostly small ones, but a few in the 10-12 inch range. My kids thought it was great. I'd catch one, my son would net it, I'd take the hook out, and then he would pick it up and let it go. Great fun for all. Here are a couple pictures from Box Lake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0205.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	48809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	48810

Quote Originally Posted by river-z View Post
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I tried fishing Mary Lake and Lake George with my kids and our spinning rods and it was a disaster of losing lures, etc..

So I gave up on that and decided to stick to the top of the water with dry flies, taking my fly rod up to the lakes we hiked to: Heart Lake, Arrowhead Lake, Skelton Lake, and Box Lake. It was pretty easy to spot the fish and they liked my very ordinary adams flies. I caught about 25, mostly small ones, but a few in the 10-12 inch range. My kids thought it was great. I'd catch one, my son would net it, I'd take the hook out, and then he would pick it up and let it go. Great fun for all. Here are a couple pictures from Box Lake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0205.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	48809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	48810
    nice, heading up this week myself and hoping to get some action for myself and and my kids.

What river stream creek is that. It is very nice. Great pics

Quote Originally Posted by bmachale View Post
    What river stream creek is that. It is very nice. Great pics
    It's Rock Creek, where it leaves Box Lake and goes down to Heart Lake. Lots of little fish and big mountains.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12