Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Mammoth with Kids

Default Fishing Mammoth with Kids

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but have enjoyed looking through old threads for the good information y'all post.

I grew up in Michigan boat fishing for bass, bluegill, and pike. From 2008-13 I lived in CO and learned to fly fish the river that ran through the canyon near town (Fort Collins), but also fished some mountain lakes in Rocky Mountain NP. Now I live in LA and visit Mammoth from time to time, mostly to ski, but visited for the first time in the summer last year. My wife and I scoped out good campsites in the basin last summer and will be at the Coldwater Campground From July 16-22. I'm bringing my fly-fishing gear, but also just got some small poles for my kids (age 5, 7, 9) to use so that I can give them their first real fishing experience.

I have a few questions and perhaps some of you may be able to help me.

1) Mary Lake is within walking distance to our campground, so we're going to go there and fish from shore. Is it better to fish the north side or the south side (or east or west)? From Google Earth the lake appears to be shallow on the east end. And is it a good idea to bring waders and go into the water a bit from shore?

2) Are there any spots in the Basin I shouldn't miss for fly-fishing? I got the impression from other threads that Mammoth Creek is good, even through town. I don't have a float tube.

3) We're going to spend some time hiking up to the other lakes above the campground. Is it worth bringing a fishing pole with me?

I looked at the schedule for fish plants and it seems this area gets stocked pretty well so that's promising. I also plan to stop at a couple fishing shops in Mammoth to buy whatever lures or bait they recommend there.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I'll post pictures afterwards if I get some good ones.

From your campground, hike up past Arrowhead Lake to at least Skelton Lake (a beautiful lake). There are fish (brooks & bows, maybe browns too) in all of the lakes. If you go to the top of Duck Pass, you pass a couple more small lakes (Barney and Red) and get a great view of the basin. There's always Hot Creek, or the Upper Owens for flyfishing. Even the creek connecting the lakes, Coldwater creek (?) has small brookies.

Flies: #14 or #16 parachute adams, black ants, gnats, mosquitoes. Spin gear with a fly/bubble rig if you don't have fly gear. Olive and black woolly buggers work well too on a fly/bubble rig, retrieve slowly. Lake Mary at sunset has always been really good for me, at the restaurant end, off the rocks by the boat launch.

John

Isn't there a little pond that gets stocked near (I think) George's Creek along 395 on the way up that kids could bobber fish with worms?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Isn't there a little pond that gets stocked near (I think) George's Creek along 395 on the way up that kids could bobber fish with worms?
    George's Creek is about two hours south of Mammoth where they are staying. Maybe on their way home.

You can rent rowboats very reasonably at Upper Twin Lakes store. Fish out near the waterfall. Always had good luck with dragon fly nymphs in the Mammoth lakes. Cast out and slow retrieve.
    Last edited by Viejo; 07-09-2016 at 04:35 PM.

What lakes in Rocky Mountain NP?
    Last edited by billy b; 07-09-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    What lakes in Rocky Mountain NP?
    Lawn Lake, where I saw lots of fish and couldn't hook a one.
    And Fern Lake, where I had a great day catching native greenback cutthroats.

Both lakes were gorgeous and well worth the trip, apart from the fishing. But that day catching trout at Fern Lake rates pretty high on my all-time list of "good days fishing."

BTW: thanks for all the advice. I'd love to hear more if there others who can chime in.

Take a rod with you everywhere you go up there as most waters have something to catch, especially brookies as you get away from the roadside spots. Wooly Buggers under a bobber are deadly (I always liked green with a little flashabou) for the planters and the surprise wild brown. Of course, nothing beats half a dilly either under a bobber or inflated 16" up a Carolina rig.
    Good luck!

Hit Lake George at the campgrounds with the kids. Fish near the boat docks with green and orange mice tails or peach salmon p/b. My son doesn't like to fish when they aren't biting but this lake never bores him. :)

Thanks all.

I have another question: I've heard stories about bears coming along and eating the fish off people's stringers. Is this a real problem? or just isolated but memorable incidents?

Not isolated. Lake Mary is one spot I've seen it also up in the San Joaquin lakes. They learn and will walk the shoreline scaring fishermen up the hill then feast on the trout. I've seen mothers with cubs doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast