Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake fisherman looking to get into Saltwater fishing

Default Lake fisherman looking to get into Saltwater fishing

Hi everyone, I live out in Riverside, and typically will spend my time going up to Big Bear Lake or out to Lake Hemet, fishing for Trout or Bass. After living in Southern California for 10+ years I just now realized that there is a larger body of water for fishing if I go west instead of east. Not really sure why I've never gone fishing in the ocean before, but would like to start doing some shore fishing. This has lead me to doing a lot of research, but I am still missing a great deal of information. I was hoping that someone on this board might be able to help me out with a few questions.

What species of fish are edible, and what fish should I always throw back? I always like to eat what I catch whenever I can.

What are the different regulations on various species of fish. I've seen that there are size limits on Halibut (22in), Leopard sharks (36in Probably wouldn't keep this one anyways), and bass (12in) , but haven't found anything else.

I found a good set up at BassPro with a 7' medium rod that says it is good for 8-16lb line. I figure that I could just put some 8 or 10lb line on with a 1/2 oz lure.

I've seen some set ups online with heavy weights attached to bait fish, sand crabs, and clams. Would I be able to cast something like this out and just let it sit there, or would the waves wash it back into the shore?

Lastly, where can I fish? I'm not asking for anyone's spot, but can I just go anywhere along the shoreline and cast out? I'm probably going to go somewhere between Dana Point and Huntington Beach.

Howdy,
    Truth be told you can eat pretty much any fish you catch.
    Most everyone throws back the surf perch. They get mushy pretty fast.
    Now that the waters are getting pretty warm, the spot fin croaker I'm sure are around, catch them using a Carolina rig with either sand crabs or bean clams if you can find them.
    Make sure you know the size limits of the fish,

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/...g-Map/Southern

Bass have a minimum size limit of 14".

If you want to bait and wait, use some pyramid weights, at least 3 ounces with some 20 pound line and a 2/0 hook.
    Use fresh dead squid or anchovy or mackerel, toss out as far as you can and let it sit.
    Keep an eye on your line because depending of the strength of swell it will move.
    Also make sure your line is pretty tight.
    As far as fishing spots, here is a map of areas you cannot fish,

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/MPAs

Make sure you know where you can't fish.

Hope this helps a little and I'm sure others will chime in when the 4th weekend is over.......most are probably out fishing

Good Luck,
    Robert
    <><

The 7ft med setup you mentioned is very versatile in the surf. Since you have never surf fished before, do yourself a favor and next time your at the store pick up some gulp camo sand worms. I'm sure alot of people on this site caught their first surf fish using a 1/2 oz egg sinker with a Carolina rig and a gulp sand worm on a mosquito hook. And don't forget to pick up some 8lb fluorocarbon leader material. As for location, any open beach or Bay will produce fish. Find a spot you like that's easy to get to and park (good luck on the weekends) and start casting. You can't really go wrong as long as your line is wet.

To heave the heavy sinker and bait, you need a longer and stouter setup than the one u mentioned. Inexpensive 12 ft rods and large spinning reels are readily available if the bait and wait is something you would like to get into.
    However you do it, do it often and be persistent.

See you out there

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Howdy,
    Truth be told you can eat pretty much any fish you catch.
    Most everyone throws back the surf perch. They get mushy pretty fast.
    Now that the waters are getting pretty warm, the spot fin croaker I'm sure are around, catch them using a Carolina rig with either sand crabs or bean clams if you can find them.
    Make sure you know the size limits of the fish,

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/...g-Map/Southern

Bass have a minimum size limit of 14".

If you want to bait and wait, use some pyramid weights, at least 3 ounces with some 20 pound line and a 2/0 hook.
    Use fresh dead squid or anchovy or mackerel, toss out as far as you can and let it sit.
    Keep an eye on your line because depending of the strength of swell it will move.
    Also make sure your line is pretty tight.
    As far as fishing spots, here is a map of areas you cannot fish,

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/MPAs

Make sure you know where you can't fish.

Hope this helps a little and I'm sure others will chime in when the 4th weekend is over.......most are probably out fishing

Good Luck,
    Robert
    <><

Thank you, these are exactly what I was looking for. It looks like I can drive down to Dana Point and just about anywhere south of there is safe to fish.

May I also suggest you begin fishing bays and harbors, getting used to the bass bite out there. You will slowly graduate from spotted to sand and calico and then head out offshore. It's like a wonderful disease. There's a great spot at the end of the Balboa jetty. I believe it's called M St. dock. Great place to test your skills with rays, halibut, bass, and the occasional perch. I am a big largemouth angler, and when I transition to salt, I started here.

Yeah, I would follow LunkerLover's advice. The saltwater bass go after most of the same lures you use for fresh. If you plan to go to M st. dock get there early, as it is usually occupied. Been gradually getting more and more into the salt myself and started the same way.

You might want to look into Lucky Craft C.I.F. 110SP flash minnows, my favorite colors are: MS Anchovy & Zebra Sardine .. But upgrade the hooks & split rings !
    Example of what I use are the Owner hyper wire split rings #5 & st-41bc 2x stinger trebles #6.
    These baits get BIT !
    Also try the most popular rig .... Carolina rig and a gulp alive sandworm on a mosquito hook.
    Another bait is the plastic ... Hammers, Basstrix, Pearls, whatever your preference is.

Good Luck ........... Get'em !!!