Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Rpt-07-02-16 1-5 day trip on the Relentless.

Default Rpt-07-02-16 1-5 day trip on the Relentless.

The boat was scheduled to leave at 9pm and I grabbed a cart to haul my six sticks, tackle box, and camera case to the boat, which was ready for boarding. There were only 11 anglers booked for the trip. Said hello to Captain Mikey, cook Kyle, second ticket Jason, crew Tyler and Kody.

Most of the bunks were in a stateroom in sets of three. There were four staterooms, the other 10 bunks were scattered fore and aft. I selected the middle bunk to the starboard fore. I didn’t have to share with the very light load.

It was obvious that most anglers had talent and good gear. Three lady fishermen joined us as well and performed admirably during the day.

Cook Kyle stated that if anyone was hungry, he had pulled pork available. Meals were included for the trip. All the food was delicious. The galley seats 16 comfortably. The normal load is 21 with often a limited load offered of 18. The boat is primarily scheduled for charters, with fill in open party trips. The boat is 63 feet in length with a very large bait tank and fish hold. It fishes nicely with 21 anglers; certainly beats most limited load trips on 65 foot boats of 30 or 32?

We enjoyed a pleasant ride southwest; with Mother wind staying on vacation for another day. We incurred maybe 8 to 10 knots of wind maximum on Saturday and it was often less than that during the day with 4 foot swells spaced nicely. It was lights out at 10 pm for me.

Saturday-07-02-16

The boat coasted down most of the night and into early morning. I woke up to the engines firing up at 5:15 am. The seas were calm with a lazy swell. The coffee was fresh and tasty. On the tables were a nice assortment of Muffins and donuts. I later ordered an excellent Breakfast plate.

We started trolling rotations at 5:30 am and the morning was uneventful in the area we started; with no kelp paddies found. I believe we headed toward US waters and the 43 after starting northwest of the 302.

The few kelp paddies we found were either empty or contained rat Yellowtail, several caught and released, while a few were kept. We lost a bigger one around 15 pounds at deep color.

None of the Tails could slurp down the bigger sardines, as I was bumped several times, with no hookups.

At about 9am we found our first school of Bluefin Tuna, according to Captain Mikey a very large school. Throwing a couple scoops of bait the water erupted in boils. I had planned on using the Flat Fall; however with boils in the corner I grabbed my bait stick, 80 lb. braid and 60 pound top shot and Flouro. There was a healthy looking Mackerel in the bait well and I pinned it on.

My bait swam out about 150 yards, with boils on both sides, yet nothing ate it? This was the longest time a school of Tuna stayed with the boat since early in the year. The Bluefin charged the boat from the leeward side and angler Randy was bit on the Flat Fall. I continued soaking my bait for nothing but frustration, with more boils near where it was.

Cook Kyle then got bit also on a Flat Fall, just under the surface when he threw on the boiling fish. Several anglers threw Poppers for no bites! I finally gave up on the bait fishing and threw out my Flat Fall.

After about ten minutes Kyle brought his Tuna to color and it was gaffed by Captain Mikey. Perhaps it weighed 65 to 70 pounds? Randy continued to circle the boat about six times before also bring the fish to color where it was stuck. The Tuna looked like twins?

Cook Kyle with an estimated 65 to 70 pound Bluefin Tuna:

Captain Mikey with angler Randy:

Lunch was a choice of Sandwiches, a Hamburger or Cheeseburger, Quesadillas, etc. I chose a double Cheeseburger and it was outstanding, thanks Kyle, fine job.

By early afternoon I remained on the outside of the candy store looking in. We looked at many empty kelp paddies and school after school of Bluefin Tuna, almost always sinking out before we could set up a decent drift.

Afternoon snacks were set out, guacamole, salsa and chips.

At 5:30 pm we came across another large school of Tuna, yet not putting on any show. They did come under the boat, providing a possible shot at them. We waited and waited for anything to happen, and Captain Mikey finally yelled uncle on this big school and said wind them up. While winding in angler Will was bit. This was our first and only bait fish hooked. The big Bluefin put on a great fight and eventually succumbed to the gaff. Once again angler Will circled the boat numerous times.

Captain Mikey kept looking until it was pitch black, with several more big schools of Tuna found, yet would not bite! I even said heck with it, I’m using 30 pound line and hope that only a 50-60 pound fish would eat my bait. Not to be and I remain virgin on the Bluefin Tuna front that seems like forever.

Sharing my curse, was another angler that stated that this was his sixth Sport Boat trip and that he had made 5 private boater attempts at hooking one of the big boys with no success! We share a common goal, catch one, and I wished him all the luck in his future trips! We both have a black (No Blue) X on our backs?

Dinner was served at 8:30 pm and consisted of New York Strip Steaks, a bit over cooked due to the late time of calling it a day, although the steak was very tender. The steak was served with mashed Potatoes, green beans, bacon bits in brown sugar on the carrots and for Desert was cinnamon glazed cake.

I had not brought any wine however, Kyle passed around a bottle of Cabernet and so I enjoyed a glass or two during dinner. It was lights out for me at 9:30 pm, right after dinner, being exhausted and needing some sleep for the early morning 100 mile drive home. We docked at 1:30 am and I arrived home in Diamond Bar at 3:20 am. Whew!

I enjoyed the trip immensely, despite my curse, and met some fine new folks. Captain Mikey thank you so much for your attention to detail, great crew, comfortable boat, and dedication to finding biting fish!

Hook up! Cory

All in all sounded like a decent trip as far as finding them and getting of few to go,sorry about the curse but with you I'm sure it's just a matter of time!
    Pretty awesome on the lite load and good eats,sounds like a good limited load boat,thanks for the report.

Cya Tuna Vic

Great report and pictures, sounds like a great time with the exception of the fish....thanks for sharing.

GREAT report ... my sorries for the curse. I've never been on a trip like that. Maybe should be on my bucket list.

Always great to eat ... fish ... and fellowship !!!