Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Could use any help-tips on fishing Lil Virginia

Default Could use any help-tips on fishing Lil Virginia

Just fished Big V yesterday and it looks like it's walkable to the shore. Pretty flat? I'm thinkin Lil V has more big fish?

Thanks MUCH for any help

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Just fished Big V yesterday and it looks like it's walkable to the shore. Pretty flat? I'm thinkin Lil V has more big fish?

Thanks MUCH for any help
    I fished little Virginia lake last week with friends in float tubes... I caught 20 trout in 4 hours and my friend did the same. I drop shot an orange Berkeley trout worm with a 10 inch leader on 2 pound mono line. My buddy used a split shot 2 feet from the worm and retrieved it pretty quickly with a jig of the rod tip. I retrieved slowing. Nothing big... All DFG stocker trout... No fins....

Little Virginia is so small and shallow, it's basically a catch-out pond. Great fishing the day or two after a trout plant. I used to take my kids there when they were little, it was basically a guaranteed catch if the timing was right, and they had fun rowing the little rental boat around.

They do plant a few trout that are larger than the usual DFG units. Back in the day they used to plant Alpers in both lakes.

Their website is very informative, and the resort proprietors are very friendly and helpful.

http://www.virginialakesresort.com/
    Last edited by shinbob; 07-01-2016 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks MUCH for the tips.

From what I've seen ... of all the pictures they post ... about 80-90% are from Little V.

I'm counting on the walk from the parking lot to be pretty level ... don't mind distance too much ... just nothing rough walking

There's a trail that goes about a third of the way around the left side of the lake, which is where I see most of the shore fishermen. You can also fish very near the parking lot also on the right side, but that side is pretty shallow and you need to be able to cast out pretty far.

I saw the shallow side Thursday. It's exactly as you described. I've got boots and also waders ... HMMMM

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I saw the shallow side Thursday. It's exactly as you described. I've got boots and also waders ... HMMMM
    Shhhh, that's my secret weapon at a lot of these shallow lakes! You can fish where other's can't, and usually have a whole shoreline to yourself!

rofl ... good one

First off, a float tube. Second...plastic worms. At little Virginia, my go-to is a pink moone worm. It's kind of a plain worm but it works (for me).