Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Valley Lake 6/30/16 Trout & crappie biting

Default Green Valley Lake 6/30/16 Trout & crappie biting

Went to GVL this morning. My neighbor has been going there religiously for a while now. I bypassed my planned Perris trip and took the long haul up the mountain. I've never been there before but the lake and the road up, has me thinking that this is the Southern California version of Round Valley Reservoir, outside of Greenville, CA(except there are no people or electricity at Round Valley). Anyways, I got there at around 5:30. Main plan was to take my daughter fishing to catch some crappie and trout on the side. It took me while to get a line in the water. I put all the trout tackle up a couple months ago. Had no pole ready and ZERO pre-tied leaders(which hurt). After tying on the tout lines and throwing out mice tails dipped in smelly jelly. Started on the crappie. Daughter had 2 on real fast. One was tiny and the other one was EXTRA TINY. These fish come in SMALL, EXTRA SMALL and FRY. Later the trout picked up. One trout even swallowed mice tails from both poles. Quickly too. I thought we had a double. Anyways this was probably the worst bass fishing day of my life. Seen a guy nailing them on whatever he threw, so I tried my hand. Didnt have much tackle for them, but threw a brown trout kastmaster I found. Fish on 3rd cast.. Fish off halfway in. Then tried the SENKO, green pumpkin wacky, Threw across the boat cove. First cast, fish on.. 80% in, fish off, I seen this one. About 11 inches. A few minutes go by 2 more fish on, 2 more fish off on the way in. I was getting laughed by bystanders. Embarrassing. ALSO lost about 4 trout. Ended up with 9 trout and kept 12 crappie, 1 Sunfish/pumpinseed/redear looking fish and ZERO bass landed. ANOTHER THING, they were stocking later on in the day and we almost limited out without the stocking. So it should be good for whoever goes up there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GVL Damia.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	48701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GVL Damia 2.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	48702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GVL Basket.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	48703  

Doesn't matter what you didn't catch......The smile on that girl's face is worth about a million bucks.

Yeah she missed out on my Clear lake trip, due to school. All the other kids in the family went and caught a bunch. So I had to take her out. Well worth it.

Nice basket full there,considering all the misses you still did very well,was it crowded? Haven't been there in a couple of years, what's the fee now,must be alot cooler up there right now.

Cya Tuna Vic

Is it true it costs $15 per person?

It wasnt crowded at all while I was there. But the lake is very small, so I can see how it can bunch up pretty fast. I know a guy that goes all the time and he says Saturdays are crazy.

It was $15 for adults. $5 more than most other lakes. I guess the up-charge is for the cleaner air up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dores34 View Post
    It wasnt crowded at all while I was there. But the lake is very small, so I can see how it can bunch up pretty fast. I know a guy that goes all the time and he says Saturdays are crazy.

It was $15 for adults. $5 more than most other lakes. I guess the up-charge is for the cleaner air up there.
    Cleaner air, and at least 15 degrees cooler!

I went there the day before Fathers day and it was packed with people all around the Lake. Hard to get a spot to fish.

Default Stock days?

What days do they stock normally?

GLV might stock on Thursdays, because they were stocking when I was there Thursday. They also receive a stocking from DFG and they just give out "the week of", not "the day of". Now I was there on a Thrusday and caught 9 and missed a few and this was with the population that was already in the lake, before the stocking. So I suspect any day is good. With the 4th coming up, SAT-MON may be too packed to fish comfortably. I'd wait until WEDS-FRI next week to go. And I just might.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast