Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Rpt.-2 Day Grande trip ending 06-28-16!

Default Rpt.-2 Day Grande trip ending 06-28-16!

I booked a trip through 976-Tuna several months ago on their 2 day Charter on the Grande, which departed Sunday at 9pm, and ended Tuesday 6-28-16 at 8pm.

Departure Sunday 06-26-16.

I left my home in Diamond Bar at 5:00 pm and headed south to Point Loma in Sand Diego; arriving at 7:00 pm. The 5 freeway was easy going!

The boat was scheduled to leave at 9pm and I grabbed a cart to haul my nine sticks, tackle box, camera case and duffle bag to the boat, which was ready for boarding. There were 29 anglers booked for the trip and only 7 were on board ahead of me. Said hello to Charter Master Big Gabe and signed in as number 8. We shoved off at 9:10 pm, with only a 40 mile drive south as our announced starting point by Captain Sean.

Unfortunately all the good bunks were already taken so I chose a floor bunk, mid-ship on the Starboard side. Hard to get into, but reasonably comfortable, good thing I am short, banged my head a few times.

This was a good group of fishermen, lots of talent, and with 29 on a 85 foot boat, some decent space for fishing together, although drifting in flat calm seas tended to bring all lines and fishermen into the stern, with constant tangles the penalty. Captain Sean introduced the crew, Steve, Kale, Scott, Sevan and cook Oscar while stating that the scoop was that the Bluefin Tuna were hanging out in this short area, along with Kelp Paddies yielding Yellowtail. Reports from further south were poor. He also left open the possibility of moving into US waters if necessary. Didn’t happen.

The guys and two Gals on board enjoyed a pleasant ride downhill, with Mother wind finally on vacation for basically the whole trip, with maybe 8 knots maximum on Monday and in late afternoon on Tuesday 10-12 knots of breeze. Sipped on a glass of Chardonnay, while chatting with others on expectations for the trip. It was lights out at 10 pm for me.

Day 1 Monday-06-27-16.

The boat shut down at around 3:30 am. Woke up to grease calm seas at 5am, after a semi good sleep, normal on the first night in a new bunk. The coffee was fresh and tasty. I later ordered an excellent Breakfast Burrito. There was no meal plan on this trip.

We started trolling rotations at 5:30 am and the very long day began. We trolled and trolled, stopping on numerous Kelp Paddies, some of which yielded a few Yellowtail and one that yielded 8. Size was mixed with 4 to 35 pounders being landed with few fish lost. There was no Jackpot for either day, Charter Master’s choice?

I was first to get bit on maybe our third kelp paddy, a big one. It was a large fish and attempted to make it to the kelp. I pointed my rod down low under the water and hoped to keep the fish out of the paddy. I was successful, and after a few minutes the big fish took another strong run towards the paddy. Then slack line, darn, apparently my mono to Flouro connection was poorly tied, as that was where it broke. Gad you can never be careful enough when tying knots, my bad! I did have a tight drag and I guess if it is going to break connections are usually the weakest links.

There were no other hookups and we continued on and repeated the process on the next kelp with only one fish hooked and lost at gaff, another big boy. Finally a good sized Yellowtail was landed and the skunk was off the boat. I had just unbuttoned one, 0-2 to start the day, crap! Bad omen.

The first Tail of the day:

We picked away at the Yellowtail all morning. We also stopped on a number of Bluefin schools for no bites and constant frustration, as they were large schools which came under the boat, with virtually no boils on our chum?

Just before noon we stopped on our 20th something kelp paddy, and this yielded 8 Tails to 35 pounds:

The 35 pound Tail, where often the picture does not do it justice:

Lunch was a choice of Sandwiches, a Hamburger or Cheeseburger, Quesadias, etc. I chose a double Cheeseburger and it was outstanding, thanks

By early afternoon I was on the outside of the candy store looking in and then I finally was on the board:

It was amazing how many Paddies we found, many garage door size and larger, yielding one or no fish. Another happy angler:

About an hour later I landed my second Tail of the day:

I don’t think we landed another Yellowtail after 4pm, as all the Paddies had probably been hit before, as there were numerous boats in the area. We stopped on at least a dozen large schools of Bluefin, yet none yield a single strike! We fished until dark and not one troll fish was caught. We ended the day with 31 Yellowtail.

Dinner was served at 8pm and included Pork Tenderloin, mashed Potatoes and Gravy, green beans and fresh rolls. Desert was chocolate ice cream covered with chocolate sauce.

I enjoyed a glass or two of Pinot Noir before and during dinner. Lights out for me at 9:30 pm.

Day 2 Tuesday-06-28-16

The Captain had moved back into an area where there were promising looking kelp paddies that we had fished the previous day. Each paddy was not too far apart, and we were all hoping for an early start to the fishing and catching.

I was up at 5:15 am and Breakfast was all of yesterday’s choices, as I again elected to enjoy a burrito. The engines were fired up at 5:30 am and within minutes we were approaching a large kelp paddy.

I was for the second day, the first one to get bit and unlike yesterday, I landed a six pound Yellowtail. Nothing to write home about, but a better start to the day. On the next kelp paddy there were lots fish on the meter and at least ten hook ups, and I put number two on the boat, again under ten pounds. I cast again and was immediately bit and landed number three for the day. I believe a dozen Yellowtail were caught on this paddy.

Gary with a nice Tail:

Another successful angler:

On the next Paddy I casted a bait into a good location about 20 yards off the paddy and was absolutely hammered. The big Tail headed straight for the paddy, yet I somehow managed to keep it out of it. The fish sounded and I began the slow wind in, with numerous short runs and violent tail and head shakes, as the big Tail wanted its freedom. I got into a messy tangle and thought this looked very bad and I might lose the fish. The crew worked a miracle and I got out. At deep color it was certainly a big boy! Yeah Kale stuck him.

A 30+ pound Yellowtail:

Another good yield and my big boy leads the pack:

The day was certainly off to a better start for everyone. There was one more very large kelp paddy spotted a ½ mile away and we could see puddlers on it as we approached. As we all casted our baits the hook ups were one after another. Apparently there were also a few casualties. I landed my fifth smaller Tail and was rewarded with an instant bite on my next cast, another 6+ pounder. One angler was hooked up on a bigger fish and was the only one at this time. So I found a lively sardine and let it swim way out. The sardine began to twitch and was picked up. I landed my third of this spot and seventh of the day, I was on fire. I was one Tail away from trip limits.

Unfortunately that would be it for me and most of the other anglers as all the remaining paddies were unyielding. Fish were on the meter, yet had lockjaw. At 11 am we made a move to where some Bluefin were being caught, about five miles away. Sure enough we came across large school after large school. One Bluefin was hooked on a Flat Fall and lost after a five minute battle.

There were a lot of boats in the area and any kelp paddies found were not expected to yield anything as they had most likely been hit earlier in the day and all the paddies we looked at were empty. We gave it until 4pm and called it a day with 38 Yellowtail. Back at the dock at 8pm.

The crew and Captain were spot on and the trip was decent. Cook Oscar was good, as all the food was tasty. These Bluefin will bite again someday. The Grande has been around for long time and I rode her back when she was Pierpoint Landing and called the America, and Captained by the late legend Cookie Cook. She could use a little TLC, especially the heads.

I enjoyed the trip and met some fine new folks.

Hook up! Cory

I'll take a freezer full of yellow tail any day!! Great report thanks for sharing

Very nice Cory.
    To bad the BFT didn't want to play with more anglers.
    Headed out tomorrow with Jeff, we'll see what Our Lord has in store for us.
    Thanks for well written report.
    Robert
    <><