Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Sat 6-25-2016 Solo Session, Bass Trifecta w/ (5) Legals

Default Sat 6-25-2016 Solo Session, Bass Trifecta w/ (5) Legals

Session: 0520 hrs to 1200 hrs

Sun Rise: 0543 hrs, Grey Light: 0500 hrs.
    Tackle Used: 3" BH and DS 3" watermelon minnow
    Tidal Conditions: outgoing tide 0455 1.9', 0545 1.0', 0645 0.3', 0745 LT 0.1', 0845 incoming tide 0.4', 0945 1.0', 1045 1.8', 1200 2.9'.
    Water Temp:67 deg
    Air Temps: 62 - 73 deg. Cloudy until 0930 then it cleared. Had to search for shaded areas to fish for the Bass at that point..
    iSolunar Prediction: 2-fish indicated, the Major period ended at 0630 hrs.

The bite started up right-out-of the-gate at 0530 with a legal Sandy and then not another until 0630 hrs.
    I found a few hot spots and the bite was on... I had a blast! So much for the iSolunar ... eh?!? Wink

Fish Count: (only one pic of each species),

(3) Spotted Bay bass aka: Grumpy, (1) was legal.

(2) Calico Bas aka: Checker Sides, best was 10".

(9) Sand Bass aka: Turd Roller, (4) were legal.

I may need to change my aka from SP Dan to "Doc" and stop referring to my fishing outings as "sessions" and start referring to them as "office hours" because fish with the Isopod physically attached to them seem to come to me to have them surgically removed.
    Go figure ... possibly an Isopod epidemic??

: any of a large order (Isopoda) of small sessile-eyed aquatic terrestrial crustaceans with the body composed of seven free thoracic segments each bearing a pair of similar legs.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopoda

Today's patient:

This really reinforces in me ... why I will always wear waders.

Thanx for checking out today's office hours. Cool lol

SP Dan <"))>< aka: "Doc"
    Last edited by SP Dan; 06-28-2016 at 12:20 PM.

SP Dan.. Here you go - "Nerocila acuminata is a parasitic isopod related to Cymothoa exigua, the infamous tongue-replacer. This isopod clings onto the skin of its fish host, feeding on blood and tissue. When it detects a potential host swim by, it launches itself at the target fish like a guided torpedo, making precise directional and speed adjustments to ensure it lands on its target with claws outstretched . Upon contact, the isopod starts digging in, causing terrible, terrible damage to the skin of its fish." (Remember the original horror movie "Alien"…) Seriously I've heard that they won't attach themselves to humans or mammals. Just fish that have a slime coating. It's weird how you don't see these parasites on halibuts. I have done lots of diving and swimming in Newport Harbor; through all kinds of eelgrass and kelp, and I've never had any problems with these isopods. I've been stung by jellyfish and also by pulling their stinging slime off my fishing line… anyone have that happen to them? "What's all this slimy stuff on my line?" Don't touch it!

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    SP Dan.. Here you go - "Nerocila acuminata is a parasitic isopod related to Cymothoa exigua, the infamous tongue-replacer. This isopod clings onto the skin of its fish host, feeding on blood and tissue. When it detects a potential host swim by, it launches itself at the target fish like a guided torpedo, making precise directional and speed adjustments to ensure it lands on its target with claws outstretched . Upon contact, the isopod starts digging in, causing terrible, terrible damage to the skin of its fish." (Remember the original horror movie "Alien"…) Seriously I've heard that they won't attach themselves to humans or mammals. Just fish that have a slime coating. It's weird how you don't see these parasites on halibuts. I have done lots of diving and swimming in Newport Harbor; through all kinds of eelgrass and kelp, and I've never had any problems with these isopods. I've been stung by jellyfish and also by pulling their stinging slime off my fishing line… anyone have that happen to them? "What's all this slimy stuff on my line?" Don't touch it!
    Thank you fishmounter,
    That's good to know and thanx for the feedback!

I don't have a clue to what all the stuff on your line could be ??

SP Dan <"))><