Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: OC Surf fishing... looking for some good spots

Default OC Surf fishing... looking for some good spots

hey everyone, a buddy and I are looking to hit the surf this weekend but wanna try to hook some big rays or sharks. Can anyone here suggest a good area to try? Any help would be appreciated. Can send me a PM to avoid posting your spots for the world to see. Thanks everyone!

Never done the shark/Ray thing myself, but there are some pros on here who can give you some tips. Surffishingsean has posted some amazing reports of huge rays.

As far as a spot goes, you're unlikely to get much more than a nudge in the right direction here, as were all pretty protective of our honey holes (not just for our own sakes but also for the fisheries themselves.).

One thing I know about rays that seems to contradict what one might think is that they like structure as much as any other fishy in the surf zone. Kelp beds and rocky bottoms are what you want to find when scoping out your spot. Go out at low tide to see what the high tide might be hiding, or just use google earth.

Good luck!

thanks! Not looking to steal spots lol. I'm the same way with my hunting spots! All I am looking for is a nudge. Thanks for the info!

its not really on the surf but more like in newport harbor, theres a few public dock on balboa blvd going towards the jetty that you can fish on. I use to fish there a lot a couple of years ago hooking up some good size batrays and sometimes a few leo-sharks but i havent been there lately due to everyone knows about that public dock now lol so go early if you want that spot

thanks for the info!!!