Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Thunderbird Overnight June 20-21

Default Thunderbird Overnight June 20-21

Greetings, FNN! It's been a few weeks since my last post and this will be my first ever post on this subforum for party boats. Myself and a few friends treated ourselves after an insane two week run at work to an overnight yellowtail trip out of Davey's Locker aboard the Thunderbird Monday and Tuesday.

We got on the boat about 9pm and headed out to the bait barge and loaded up with many scoops of average to good sardines. Goofy gave a great pitch about the boat's expectations, which included lots of humor I couldn't possibly recreate here in text form. His face and generally salty demeanor made it hysterical! I was also happy when he said there would be no jackpot on this boat. "We don't have any room for macho man bullshit fishing. Our goal is always to boat as many fish as possible for as many anglers as possible. So no bumping each other outta the way. You bump a fellow angler, you and I can have a long talk in the galley while every one else catches fish!"

My friends had never done deep sea sport fishing before so this very inclusive and friendly attitude from the crew and the other anglers was welcome!

A couple shots of us as we were leaving the harbor, David on the left, Ian in the beanie and myself looking like an axe murderer after two weeks without a day off leading up to this xD:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	48674

Views:	227 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	48675

After Goofy's pitch, Brian gave us the rundown on tackle and rigging. Brian is a young dude (a baby really at only 20 years old), but was really cool, informative and eager to help out. He spent time with me teaching me the San Diego knot after recommending I use it instead of the Palomar knot. He said he was grateful that I wanted to learn rather than just make him do it for me, but I still felt like I oughta be the grateful one as it took me several failed attempts to finally memorize and execute the knot consistently.

Some good conversation and a couple cigarettes later, we retired to our bunks.

Woke up the next morning at San Clemente Island to overcast skies and calm seas. Several boats from the San Diego fleet were already working one area, but Jeff (El Capitan) let us know that they had very few hookups and that we'd be trying a different spot. It was a good call because once we arrived the new spot it was only 30 seconds before I was already ripped by a yellowtail on a hot 'dine. A fair fight later and I landed my first of the day, a solid little dude in the 8-10 lb range.

The action on the dines slowed down for me so I switched to my squid rig, and that produced more fish, but not what I was gunning for: a bunch of dinker calicos, although two were of legal size. Ripping 12-16 inch checkers from their homes on 30 lb. wasn't my idea of fun, so I went back to what worked for me earlier. "Less fish, but the target species and a worthy battle? Sign me up," I thought.

That wound up working out for me as planned: only three more hook ups and two boated fish but both were decent sized yellowtail with a mean attitude :) The rest of the boat put a ton of calicos on the boat and the occasional rat yellow on the squid, but most yellows were caught on the 'dine that day. They've stopped eating the winter food source of squid it would appear: a good sign that the waters are warming up again.

The one I lost was a real bummer for me though as it was due to a farmed knot. Went bendo, fish started a run and broke off mid run, I retrieved a curly-q line with no hook. "Rookie mistake!" I thought to myself. Oh well, it was a knot I'd never used and I was determined to bother the crew as little as possible since they already had their hands full with one ******* (didn't seem to get Goofy's message about no bumping and even got fiesty with a deck hand at one point) and about 7 anglers who spoke no English and caught more of the other people's lines than fish that day.

David wound up with one yellow and one calico. Ian was skunked :( Neither has ever cast a conventional reel before and they weren't able to cast past the mess of tangles until pretty late in the day when they started to get the hang of it.

Views:	285 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	48676

Views:	297 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	48677

Views:	255 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	48678

Had the boys clean my fish for me and kept the belly meat (was actually shocked to see them chucking the belly meat out from every fish they cleaned that day. That's the best sashimi you'll ever taste!!!) to make a beautiful sashimi dinner for my wife and I. Pretty much made my money back with that meal alone and I still have easily 10 lbs of meat left in the freezer!

Was a real blast and I can't wait to get away from work and do it again! I'm eyeing late July around the 18th or later if anybody else cares to join! There might be yellowfin by then too :)

Cheers,
    Cam

Nice report. The thunderbird has a great crew and try their best to put you on the bite. They also have the best double cheeseburger also. At least you all had fun although the fish count wasn't as much. them yellows are tough and good eating.

cool report... ull get them next time...; each fishing trip is a learning experience to wat works wat doesn't and so forth ... soon ull have garage full of rods/reels/boats and every aid u can think of !!!!

Very well written report.
    Sounds like you learned, fished, caught fish and had a good time with your friends from work....WINNER IN MY BOOK!!
    Thanks for the report,
    Robert
    <><

hey awesome report!
    Funny that's the boat me and my work buddy might be going on around that time in July!? Haven't decided which overnight boat to try for our first overnighter.
    maybe we'll see you guys out there!
    Cos

Great report, thanks for taking the time.

I live in Phoenix and am a novice to salt water. I don't get a ton of time on the coast but I'm spending what time I can in SoCal and learning as much as I can. I've been on one of Davey's Locker's twilight charters but this coming weekend will be my first overnight trip and first time fishing San Clemente Island. Any advice on what to bring and what not to bring? I've been using a Cabela's Salt Striker spinning reel with 30lb power pro and a 30lb fluro topshot. I also have a Penn Squall 40LD with 80lb braid and 100lbmono for smaller sharks in the surf but I don't think I'll need anything close to that on the boat.

I appreciate any advice, I'm looking forward to the trip tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by JTLove View Post
    Great report, thanks for taking the time.

I live in Phoenix and am a novice to salt water. I don't get a ton of time on the coast but I'm spending what time I can in SoCal and learning as much as I can. I've been on one of Davey's Locker's twilight charters but this coming weekend will be my first overnight trip and first time fishing San Clemente Island. Any advice on what to bring and what not to bring? I've been using a Cabela's Salt Striker spinning reel with 30lb power pro and a 30lb fluro topshot. I also have a Penn Squall 40LD with 80lb braid and 100lbmono for smaller sharks in the surf but I don't think I'll need anything close to that on the boat.

I appreciate any advice, I'm looking forward to the trip tomorrow!
    You might need the heavier outfit for a little codding or a dropper loop setup for the WSB. Other then that the #30 test pole is about right unless your fishing heavy structure or the seals are out of control. Don't be afraid to bring something a little lighter for the Bass and don't sleep in. A lot of the WSB are caught in the dark or grey light so be ready with a squid for them. Listen to the crew on the best way to rig up. Good Luck and which boat are you going on?
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-30-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    You might need the heavier outfit for a little codding or a dropper loop setup for the WSB. Other then that the #30 test pole is about right unless your fishing heavy structure or the seals are out of control. Don't be afraid to bring something a little lighter for the Bass and don't sleep in. A lot of the WSB are caught in the dark or grey light so be ready with a squid for them. Listen to the crew on the best way to rig up. Good Luck and which boat are you going on?
    Thanks for the reply, good to know about the WSB. As a novice, anything big in size or fight is the goal this trip but I'd absolutely love to bring home a WSB. We're going on the Thunderbird, leaving Saturday night to fish Sunday. And I'll be the first one up! haha

How light of a setup on the bass? I see tons and tons of Calicos being caught but I can't imagine they're huge with that many being released.

I always bring 65 pound braided on a 15-25 pound flouro too shot. Depending on the sizes of yellows being caught will determine my top shot line. Also size 1/0-2/0 live bait hooks should be good. The past few times I have been using 1/4 oz egg sliding weight because the fishes were not surfacing. This worked well for me the last couple months. Good luck and the T-bird has a great crew. And their double cheeseburgers are to die for!!!!