Rumors of Bluefin Tuna or any other Tuna being in US waters are greatly exaggerated! We put 130 miles on the water today, all US and never saw a single Tuna!

Today I went fishing with Jeff Warren on his 26’ Shamrock, “Longfin” with his son Tommy. I drove down from my house in Diamond Bar, Wednesday morning at 3:15 am, 6-22-16 and met Jeff and Tommy at their slip in Mission Bay at 5:00 am.

We picked up a dynamite scoop of 5-6 inch Sardines, of which none perished during the day. Too bad most were still in the tank when we returned to the slip? Oh yeah, we had awesome weather today too, must be something in the water when you can only get 2 out of 3 things to go right, because what didn’t go right was the fishing, no the “catching”.

We stopped on some fabulous Kelp Paddies with nobody home, not even a speck of bait or any meter marks.

We ran at cruising speed down to the lower nine, put in a couple of Rapala’s and trolled for about 10 miles, before kicking it up to reach the 312, where some radio fish were being sighted, and or caught? There were other private boats in the area, some were drifting, however, we observed no hook ups, no signs of birds or fish.

We continued on to the 209 where more boats were in play, but none seemed to be catching anything, nor was the area looking fishy. Water temps outside of Mission bay started at 67.5, then dropped to 65.5 at the lower 9, and rose to 66.5 at the 312 and up to 67 at the 209.

We then set a course for the 181 and upon reaching the high spot, put the trollers back in for nothing after an hour. Ran hard to the Corner, where one boat stated they caught a Yellowfin Tuna. Water temps at the corner reached 67.75 degrees and rose even higher when we reached the 182 to 68.85 degrees. Yep the Yellowfin will be here soon.

We trolled past a few more good kelp paddies with no meter marks and no bites. Made our last ditch effort to run to the upper nine, where again there was no life and reached the harbor a little after 5pm. Gave it all we had, that’s fishing. At the dock we talked to a neighbor who just returned from the 302 and 371 and south for one Yellowtail off a kelp paddy. They didn’t say if they saw any Tuna.

Well, I guess it was just a down day, so sad, given such great weather and super bait, well maybe next time. I’m 0-4 on the Tuna trips so far this year and counting. Got to break out of this slump someday?

Thanks again Jeff and Tommy, we gave it our all. Looking forward to fishing with both of you again soon.

Hook up! Cory