Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: How far does a a day trip go?

Default How far does a a day trip go?

My old buddy Sam, used to fish the islands off port Huneme. I asked him y u fish so far away? Sam said, I fish where the fish are biting. Wise sage advice for, at the time was a young man. Being from OC, I didn't get it at the time, still I made the trip a few times up to catch the Sea Jay with him. Sea bass limits with him the last time I fished with him, I heard big Sam is on oxygen now and don't fish much. We were both Respiratory therapists at the same hospital for years.
    I might never get a chance to fish with Sam again, my buddy.
    I got a question for the day trippers, how far is too far?. I did the Isabella trip in a day. Not going any farther in a day trip. Sam would go I'm not going, if I was it'd better be hot, my parents got a house on the river.

Depends on why your going. I go from Brea to lake Nacimiento a couple times a year(which is like a 4 to 4.5 hr drive 1 way). BUT I mainly go to meet my grandpa who is currently 87 and coming from the Monterey Bay. So when he can get a driver, its there or lake lopez. If the fish are BITING. like Isabella BITING. I have done 2 separate day trips to Isabella and form Seaside/Monterey to Clear lake on a couple of day trips there too. Those are 4+ hrs drives also. But that's not a normal day trip. Those are in the "too far" range. 3 hrs one way should be considered far. Anytime you have to gas up an ADDITIONAL time to get home(excluding towing), you are probably going too far. I am like SAM. I fish where they are biting, if I have the time. If its a slam dunk then do it. If it is for sentimental reasons(why I drive to Nacimiento) then do it. If it is just to go fishing and its 2.5 or 3+ hrs away. DON'T DO IT. Chances are that you pass 10 to 15 lakes on the way to your destination.