Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long time no post and a little bit of DVL Intel

Default Long time no post and a little bit of DVL Intel

Wiping down the boat at the ramp the other day I was asked from a couple anglers wondering why I stopped posting reports and I was a little shocked. Well I really didn't have an answer for them, but I guess the main reason was that I didn't feel right about posting seeing as how I wasn't fishing the lake often while it was closed. Better late than never.

DVL has been fishing pretty damn well since the opener on May 18th. This year I told myself I was boycotting the swimbait and utilizing mainly traditional baits and techniques as I think I'm going to partake in a little bit of the tournament game. So needless to say its been a little revisiting this and revisiting that. While most everyone's reports, or general word of mouth, are saying that its 30 fish a day type stuff I'll be completely honest with you; It's not. The bite is tough, but really good at the same time. What I mean by that is that it's tough in locating but really good when you find them.

With the water level coming up so quick, so fast, the water has flooded a plethora of cover for these fish to meander through. As the lake was low and the bottom was barren, Bass would stick in greater numbers to obvious structure and cover. The lake was very predictable as anglers could jump on a milk run and beat the fish up pretty hard. Now that the lake is stacked with a heavy amount of soft cover, the bass are literally everywhere from the bank out to 30'. This makes locating tough. Anglers can often find themselves locked into A LOT of false patterns. A fish here or a fish there, on this or that. Needless to say, with the amount of cover available I'm finding there to be A LOT of dead water. This is why I say its tough fishing but great when you find them. When you pick through the available shoreline to work with and filter the non productive bank from the productive, and when you find the fish; They simply want to die.

The reaction bite thing has been there and you can score on a lot of solid opportunity however I'm finding it to be really day to day. Some guys seem to be on top of it but its definitely been a little hit or miss for me based on conditions. One day I'll crack em' hard and then the next I'm getting beat up. I'll come into an area with a blade, underspin, jerkbait or topwater and pick off a few here or a few there, but the predominant bite has been on the soft bait on a day to day basis. 9" Bass Chow, Uptons worms and the senko have been my bread and butter lately. The last few days, Watermelon Red has been the name of the game.

The 25-30' zone, or the outside brush edge, is without a doubt the strongest zone for numbers that I've found. Texas, drop shot and Hideki but the reaction bite is high and tight out to about 15'

Don't let the lack of reports fool you. The lake is doing really well, it's just that you have to put your camo on and do a little hunting.

Any questions, hit me up at Last Chance Bait and Tackle (951)658-7410 and I'll be happy to drop a little dirt.

Like everything I do, I'm more than happy to offer up some bites, however, it'll be up to you to make your opportunities count. Happy fishing guys!!!

Here's a few from the last few trips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skeet.jpg 
Views:	719 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	48638

Name:	p4.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	48639

Name:	p1.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	48640

Name:	lcpm.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	48641

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	48642

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	48643

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	48644
    Last edited by Matt_Magnone; 06-17-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Sounds pretty spot on from what I've found Mart. The bass are definetly grouped up and it can get tedious looking for them and waiting to come across them when hunting them... But once you find them they eat pretty good and it's fun... i agree that alot of the reports guys having 30 fish days are probably just dock talk mostly.. because it is in fact a grind... i have however found easy to catch fish in 40-52... which are always fun.. other than that.. Good Synopsys of the bite... I'm glad I'm not the only one grinding for numbers of fish in the teens...

Matt,

Thank you for your report. As always a straight up honest report! You've been missed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Marino View Post
    Sounds pretty spot on from what I've found Mart. The bass are definetly grouped up and it can get tedious looking for them and waiting to come across them when hunting them... But once you find them they eat pretty good and it's fun... i agree that alot of the reports guys having 30 fish days are probably just dock talk mostly.. because it is in fact a grind... i have however found easy to catch fish in 40-52... which are always fun.. other than that.. Good Synopsys of the bite... I'm glad I'm not the only one grinding for numbers of fish in the teens...
    Sick buddy. You and I fish a lot a like in depth I've noticed. Its definitely tough but good at the same time. I just can't get enough!!!!!

That's exactly how i feel as well Matt...i can't get enough .. Cool thing is that if one pattern is dead there are several others to come back and try...
    Last edited by Pete Marino; 06-20-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks for the intel! What time are they opening the gates?

The gate opens at 5:30 am

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    The gate opens at 5:30 am
    5:15 am now and not many going...At least not last Friday!! Slow bite for us

Any trout still being caught ... or is it just bass and stripers? Did all the Browns die out?

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Any trout still being caught ... or is it just bass and stripers? Did all the Browns die out?
    I've been wondering the same about those browns. I last fished the lake 3 weeks ago, bass bite was good (t-rig, d/s, and a little topwater), but what ever happened to that batch of nice trout? Guys were busting some nice brown trout for a bit

I guess you could say that about the wood, too, but farther back in the day
    Last edited by bassnet; 07-10-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast