Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Rpt.-Wed.-Bass,Cuda,Critters!

Default Rpt.-Wed.-Bass,Cuda,Critters!

Two weeks ago Lal and I went Bass’n along the Palos Verde Coast and found the water temps had dropped to 59.6 degrees and the water was a filthy green brown, consequently it was an extremely slow day of fishing, with ten total fish between us, ugly!

So, we went fishing Wednesday 6-15-16, on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. I drove to Lal’s place in Cerritos and arrived at 4:30 am. We arrived at Davies Launch ramp at 5am and found it to be without power, so no entrance? So we headed over to Huntington Harbor to launch.

We exited the harbor at 6am and headed up to the Palos Verde Coast. There was no wind in the harbor, this alone being a change of pace, as we have had wind in the morning inside the harbor on our last three to four trips. Someday Mother wind is going to take a long vacation, as she has been very active for too long this year.

The water temps to start were 66.9, wow what a change? They dropped to 64.5 by the time we reached our starting point, still a full five degrees above our previous excursion. Also the water clarity was much improved, although still a bit green. We hope this meant more active Bass on the chew, and sure enough, I alone caught as many fish on our last trip in about 20 minutes, 6 Bass and 4 Rockfish. It was not game on, yet a welcome relief from the disastrous conditions prior.

As per usual we both fished using 4” Clear Red Flake plastics or Calico Hunters, while Lal also did well on a 5” Brown and orange belly plastic. We caught and released about 20 mixed bass in the first hour. I didn’t land any picture moment Bass, however Lal caught some.

Here is Lal with a big fat Calico Bass:

And another:

And another:

The bite went to a very slow pick for the next hour, so we headed further north to Rocky Point. The water temps improved to 65.5 degrees, and the water was a clearer grey blue. Where are the Yellowtail?
    We stopped on several deeper reefs and stones where the Reds hang out, but caught only Johnny Bass. The meter was loaded with fish, bait and Mackerel, which were boiling all around us. The Porpoise were up and into their feeding zone.

Lal moved in a little shallower to target bass. The Calico’s and Sandie’s both wanted to play. I continued to release more rockfish than bass, while Lal caught the quality Bass.

Lal’s biggest Sand Bass:

How about another nice Calico Bass:

However I took Jackpot with this seven pound Barracuda:

How about those marks on the meter? It was really sweet, but lots of lockjaw. The wind came up at 10 am and the bite stopped in this area, so we headed back south. As we rounded the corner the wind backed off.

It remained a slow pick, except for a few flurries of good bites on Sand Bass, Calico Bass and more critters, including a couple of small Barracuda.

We finished the day with 35-40 mixed Bass to 4 pounds, 30 Rockfish and the three Barracuda. All fish released to play another day!

It was fun fishing all morning and while the winds were in play, we fished until 1pm. We were on the Trailer by 2:00pm.

Another great day fishing on the Ducky, thanks a bunch Lal.
    Hook up! Cory

P.S. Can’t wait to again target the big Bluefin, hoping the winds subside soon. Does not look good for this weekend, darn? Happy Father’s Day.

Those are some fine specimens. Nice job guys!

There you go Cory!
    Nothing like a day out on the water.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Robert
    <><

Nice checkers there,decent size Barrie too,wtg guys,thanks for sharing.

Cya Tuna Vic